1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Custom glass for older woodstove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Kaptain, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Kaptain

Kaptain Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    I have an old baker woodstove that has what appears to be removable metal plates on each door.

I assume glass would have been an option at the time of purchase...

Anyway, is there any reason that I can't use custom cut neoceram for this? Link below...

http://www.onedayglass.com/neoceram.php

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CamFan

CamFan Member

Loc:
    North East Georgia
    The price looked good enough. the only thing I saw that may not work for you is the fact it said good to use where flames are 6" away. With a wood stove I doubt that will happen. I do not know if your stove will accept it or not but it sounds like it.
    Steve
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Ceramic glass might work, but I suspect in the old stove without an airwash it is going to get black quickly and frequently.
  4. CamFan

CamFan Member

Loc:
    North East Georgia
    You are exactly right about that. They will smoke up with the first fire generally.
  5. Kaptain

Kaptain Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    Thanks for the feedback. The glass getting dirty was my biggest concern but I didn't expect it to turn black right away. I burn very dry wood do that has to help as well. For 40 bucks that it costs I'm going to give it a shot.