Cut off legs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naturetravels

Nov 1, 2014
NC
We have a very old house, and knew we needed a small wood stove to fit in our chimney. We purchased the US Stove Small Logwood 2421 from Tractor Supply. Once we got it home, had our new double-insulated piping installed, and went to hook it up, we realized we were 2 inches too high to make the proper connection from the flue collar to the pipe.

I saw on another thread that some people cut the legs. Has anyone tried that with this stove? I tried calling the manufacturer today, but they are closed on the weekends. They do not sell a short leg kit on their website.

We do not have a large budget, and because we are in the process of remodeling our home, we don't want to spend too much on a stove right now. We just need one that will keep that section of the house warm (our water heater, laundry room and kitchen sink are in that area, and we had issues last winter with freezing). The only other affordable small stove option that we have seen that may fit is this one (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394664_200394664) but it has a 15-29 day wait list on being shipped, which would put us at December... which is too late.

We're having our first freezing temps tonight, so our #1 priority is to get the wood stove working. We're out of ideas on what to do unless we cut the legs, so we wanted to turn here for advice!

I'm a newb, but I'll toss this out there. On the surface i'd say any modifications to a stove will void all possibility of getting insurance or making a claim if anything should happen.

Technically speaking if the stove only needs a pad for ember protection like mine then it wouldn't be a specific danger, I would think. Even at full blaze I can safely touch the bottom of my stove so I'd say lowering 2" wouldn't pose a significant safety risk...but still there's that insurance issue. If however your stove requires a pad with a specific R value, then lowering would be a big no no in my book all the way around!

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing and bringing that to my attention! I'll definitely look more closely at the compliance information.

post some pics of your setup so we can see what you are dealing with we might have different ideas. Also if you had it installed and they put it in to low i would have the installers back to fix it

I chopped the legs off my NC30 so it would fit in my fireplace. I'm not the only one that has done it.

yes it can be done but it voids the ul listing which means in the eyes of the insurance company and codes it is an unlisted stove and clearances need to change accordingly

As already mentioned above, cutting the legs changes the engineering of the stove and raises all kinds of safety and insurance issues. Tread very carefully. The old saying for stoves is: measure twice and cut NEVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.