Cutting 4" hole in tile and cement board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_M

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Central NY
This summer I will purchase a wood stove and do a new installation in my new house. I am now doing all the preparation work for the install and want to use outside air to feed the stove. The design I am using requires drilling or cutting a 4" hole in the elevated hearth to bring outside air within the footprint of the stove's pedestal.

What is the easiest way to drill or cut this hole? I can build the hearth, then drill the hole or I can drill or cut the tile and cement board before installing it. I have priced some diamond drill bits and saber saw blades but these seem awfully expensive for a single use.

All helpful hints will be most appreciated.

John_M

John_M said:
This summer I will purchase a wood stove and do a new installation in my new house. I am now doing all the preparation work for the install and want to use outside air to feed the stove. The design I am using requires drilling or cutting a 4" hole in the elevated hearth to bring air within the footprint of the stove's pedestal.

What is the easiest way to drill or cut this hole? I can build the hearth, then drill the hole or I can drill or cut the tile and cement board before installing it. I have priced some diamond drill bits and saber saw blades but these seem awfully expensive for a single use.

All helpful hints will be most appreciated.

John_M

Rough in that hole while you're building it..... Absolutely. Don't do it post facto. You'll inevitably crack some tiles.
Go to HD or Lowes and buy yourself a tile cutting jigsaw blade. This works great for cutting wall tile in a circular fashion, and for cutting a nice round hole in your durarock backer board.

This is the type of project that will require measuring 4 times, and cutting once.

I would just use an abrasive wheel in an angle grinder but that's because it's what I have at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.