1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cutting firebrick and tile, Craigslist tile cutter

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Leroy_B, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    Found a reasonable tile cutter on Craigslist tho not top of the line tile cutter, a Ryobi. Seems it's doing the job for cutting tile for the hearth and firebrick. The firebrick I picked up was a little to wide so I trimmed a 1/2". $40 tile cutter, $1 brick......nice cut, priceless. So now I wonder how well it'll cut/trim stone veneer field stone for edge trimming?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

raybonz likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    Thought it might of been of interest?
  3. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I've used cheap tile cutters for tile and slate and it worked fine. Slate isn't exactly the hardest stone out there.
  4. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    Would the Ryobi be in a class of cheap? Cause I'd consider the Ryobi a tool for ones attitude as "ahhh that's good enough"
  5. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I could use that tile saw right now! Need to trim 1/16" off one fire brick and hate to use my angle grinder as it's very dusty, plus hard to grind evenly and time consuming!

Ray
  6. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    Sent me a private message where I could send you my cell phone and address. If you want it cut it can be done in no time. I'm not far from Lowell, Mass.
  7. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Thanx for the offer Leroy but Lowell is pretty far from Carver.. I'll grind it down this weekend outdoors..

Ray
  8. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    I have used a cheap wet tile saw from harbor freight that was on sale wqith the diamond blade for 45.00. It has cut every single piece of tile, stone etc... That i have thrown at it! When i was looking for one, it would have cost me 75 dollars a day to rent one, or buy this one for 45.....i got it and figured that if it died after the first job it would have paid for itself, but it keeps on cutting. So cheap isnt a bad thing...
    raybonz likes this.
  9. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    Understood. But yeah go the Harbor Freight route for a $45 tile saw or grind. Good luck on the cut.
    raybonz likes this.
  10. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I have a nice little tile saw I got cheap, but they are like printers, you pay for ink and blades. The printer and saw are cheap but the ink and blades will get ya.