Cutting Hole for Pellet vent. Need some advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joker3092

Aug 18, 2010
Albrightsville, PA
I recently purchased a pellet stove and all the accessories needed, bought a used stove and am planning to do the install myself to save some money. I'm currently debating on the best way to cut through the vinyl siding on the outside. My plan is to drill a hole to mark the center of the thimble from the inside to the outside. From there i was going to trace the part that goes through the wall. However I'm worried if i take my reciprocating saw to my outside vinyl that it will just shred it too pieces. Does anyone have any advice on cutting the hole on the outside vinyl without destroying it (or am i just being overrly cautious on the matter)

Note: I'm not too worried about how pretty the hole is it will be hidden.

Will the vinyl cut with a linoleum knife or a fresh blade in a utility knife? Or use a large hole saw.

BeGreen said:
Will the vinyl cut with a linoleum knife or a fresh blade in a utility knife? Or use a large hole saw.
it will with assistance from propane torch, keep hose handy.

When you put thimble kit on it will cover the vinyl siding some. I nailed down the vinyl in many spots around the circle to keep the siding from moving. Then I us a jig saw and a coarse blade. I pulled the nails out once I was done cutting. Slow steady pressure. Nail holes were hidden once complete.

I am sure more tips will come.

Turn a plywood blade around on your circular saw ,that way it doesn't chip the siding.

I used a roto zip with a drywall cutting blade. You can make a 1/2" plywood template and screw it onto the siding, then just trace it with the rotozip. Harbor Freight sells one for $19.99.

+1 on the roto-zip with drywall blade. You can also trace a circle on the siding and cut it out using a dremel cut-off wheel. The big box stores sell a dremel cut-off wheel made for plastic.

What I did was once I found center on the inside I used a very long drill bit that went threw the wall so I new were center was on the outside. Removed 2 pices of the vinyl then used my reciprocating saw to cut the hole. I just then cut the vinyl to match and reinstalled using J-chanal. looks good.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,614
magsf11 said:
What I did was once I found center on the inside I used a very long drill bit that went threw the wall so I new were center was on the outside. Removed 2 pices of the vinyl then used my reciprocating saw to cut the hole. I just then cut the vinyl to match and reinstalled using J-chanal. looks good.

Did you use the Hockey stick in the install?

I used a tin snips to cut my vinyl siding...

firewarrior820 said:
Turn a plywood blade around on your circular saw ,that way it doesn't chip the siding.

+1 for this method. I keep an old saw set up like this for when it's needed.
I have used a sawzall as well with a metal cutting (fine-tooth) blade with some success,
but the kickbacks from the tip hitting the sheathing can mess things up...
If it's a little chilly - which causes the siding to get brittle - you DON"T need a torch.
A hair dryer will work fine with out damaging the siding.
It will take a while to warm things up, but it'll work.

Regarding installing your own pellet stove/exhaust piping. While it's not that hard to do - I installed a new Whitfield 3 years ago, including cutting a hole through my roof for the 14 ft vertical run, and I am not that much of a carpenter - one thing you might want to make sure to do is take plenty of pictures of all the parts, the holes you cut, and many stages along the way. Why? Insurance. I own my house and have homeowners insurance. But, after installing the stove, got thinking about whether or not my insurance company would be OK with my installation. If I had done it properly, I would have gotten a permit and had a certified installer do the work. I have not told my insurance company about my stove, but want to, but am afraid they will require a certified installation or at least pix of the installation, and I did not take any of the through-the-wall parts. While I'm comfortable with the installation I did, I am still nervous about how to handle notifying my insurance about it. So consider this well before doing it yourself, and then take pictures if you do. It might help.

magsf11 - 19 August 2010 09:24 AM

Did you use the Hockey stick in the install?
Bxpellet, lmaf never saw it there when I took the pic. Might have to use it to get the kids to bring in bags this winter.

j-takeman said:
When you put thimble kit on it will cover the vinyl siding some. I nailed down the vinyl in many spots around the circle to keep the siding from moving. Then I us a jig saw and a coarse blade. I pulled the nails out once I was done cutting. Slow steady pressure. Nail holes were hidden once complete.

I am sure more tips will come.
x2 and use one of these
prod_start_main_i0000308.jpg

to fit the thimble in. Don't forget to find some J channel for the finishing touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.