Cutting length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slacker

Jan 5, 2016
NE Tennessee
I scrounge most of my wood and beggars cant be choosers. It seems like most of the time I get pieces that are cut into "manageable" lengths. Lets say my stove will take a 22" piece max. My ideal length is 18". Say I get a piece 24" Do I cut off 2" so it's at max, 6" so I'm at ideal or half it at 12"???

I cut a small piece off to make it regular length and then use the short as kindling or when starting a fire.

Wife burns a lot of cut offs and knots. I get a lot as the tree company's cut and go, so I end up with a lot of cut offs and so on. They burn just as good as the long splits.

Reactions: Jeffm1 and Wickets
I've cut mine small so that they fit N/S. I have a small insert, so they are around 12 inches when cut. It also depends on my mood on how I cut them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I collect what's laying around too.
Weird thing is I don't have a saw.
(that changed three days ago)
I grab anything under 27", period.

About the above parenthesis, met an awesome friend. Banged on a door to ask about a felled and cookied tree
in his yard laying since November. Turns out the guy is a retired molten steel pourer on disability with issues bad
enuff that he paid the tree guys to make ALL 6 inchers cuz a fused spine, bad knees, the whole 9. His body is a mess
and he hobbled around telling me which are coming down next, and asked me how long I want my pieces !!!
Bruce, like myself, is a talker and we ended up chewing the fat over an hour about stoving, which he used to do
before getting injured and rich at the steel mill. He hadn't gotten around to cleaning up the wood before the blizzard n' cold snap
and was glad someone wanted it. Wow. I gets home and he called me apologizing that he forgot to offer me his three chainsaws
as he can't use them anymore. Wow again! ! ! He's also an FOJ, friend of Jesus, and was glad to help me keep my family
warm. He kept a sweet Stihl and I got his Craftsman units in three sizes from 14" to 22", all from the 70's and 80's,
spare chains, bottle of two stroke, and so much wood it took two tire squishing trips to get it to Cheap Acres.
The guy says he's always home, she works, and drop in anytime for some coffee and telling of tales. He lives one road over too.
A true friend in the making, and we're neighbors up here in forest n' farm country. He gave me some connections to some real
money making jobs too. Triple wow ! ! ! Prayers DO get answered, right on the edge of foreclosure and continually trusting
God to provide, and He came through in spades ! I start work in January at a job paying 4 bucks better than the bakery that
fired me on a technicality before Thanksgiving. Did my physical and pee test already and have the greenlite to start after holiday
shutdown week.

CheapAndHumblyThankingGodDaily

I would cut one piece that is your ideal size, then have one short piece you burn durning fall or spring. I actually burnt a bunch of short and uglies today because it was 45* outside and I just wanted to keep the coals going.

^^^
+1

Reactions: D8Chumley
Burn the long one EW and the shorts NS.

I always cut to fit and burn the odd ball pieces on the weekend when we are home.

Reactions: bboulier
We get a lot of long slabs at the sawmill. Set 'em aside 'til there's a pile. Then cut to 16", put the short ends on top of the stacks. Just worked up a bunch this morning.

100_0374.JPG

My stove takes a max of 18 inches. Anything less gets burnt.

bob

I scrounge my neighbors shelter belts, one of my neighbors has kept me warm all season so far. He used to burn and had a bunch of huge rounds and slab wood. I can't handle the rounds unless I cut them in half. 12ish my stoves both will take 20" all day. AND! I even got 3 spectacular red oak logs! I don't even want to burn it. Just look at it and smell it. Haven't even burned an oak yet

Reactions: Jeffm1
I collect what's laying around too.
Weird thing is I don't have a saw.
(that changed three days ago)
I grab anything under 27", period.

About the above parenthesis, met an awesome friend. Banged on a door to ask about a felled and cookied tree
in his yard laying since November. Turns out the guy is a retired molten steel pourer on disability with issues bad
enuff that he paid the tree guys to make ALL 6 inchers cuz a fused spine, bad knees, the whole 9. His body is a mess
and he hobbled around telling me which are coming down next, and asked me how long I want my pieces !!!
Bruce, like myself, is a talker and we ended up chewing the fat over an hour about stoving, which he used to do
before getting injured and rich at the steel mill. He hadn't gotten around to cleaning up the wood before the blizzard n' cold snap
and was glad someone wanted it. Wow. I gets home and he called me apologizing that he forgot to offer me his three chainsaws
as he can't use them anymore. Wow again! ! ! He's also an FOJ, friend of Jesus, and was glad to help me keep my family
warm. He kept a sweet Stihl and I got his Craftsman units in three sizes from 14" to 22", all from the 70's and 80's,
spare chains, bottle of two stroke, and so much wood it took two tire squishing trips to get it to Cheap Acres.
The guy says he's always home, she works, and drop in anytime for some coffee and telling of tales. He lives one road over too.
A true friend in the making, and we're neighbors up here in forest n' farm country. He gave me some connections to some real
money making jobs too. Triple wow ! ! ! Prayers DO get answered, right on the edge of foreclosure and continually trusting
God to provide, and He came through in spades ! I start work in January at a job paying 4 bucks better than the bakery that
fired me on a technicality before Thanksgiving. Did my physical and pee test already and have the greenlite to start after holiday
shutdown week.

CheapAndHumblyThankingGodDaily
Awesome! I am happy for you. Thanks for sharing. :)

Reactions: CheapBassTurd