Cutting with sap down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moisture meters are also set for Douglas Fur and so readings must be adjusted for species as well as temp. The attached is a species adjustment chart for a duel pin meter. I don't know for sure if it is brand/model specific or not, but probably not. Sorry, I can't find the temp adjustment chart.:mad:

Attachments

• Species-Correction-Table.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 138
How did you check the moisture of these freshly felled trees? Electronic meters are useless on green wood; they are terribly inaccurate on anything over about 28% MC, and most species have 2-3 times that much moisture when green. The only way you can get an accurate read of MC on green wood is to weigh a sample, oven-dry it and weigh it again.

Yes I am using an electronic meter (General-Tools-MMD4E) these trees were felled in January and when I made it back there a week ago to start bucking and splitting I noticed some of the big rounds they cut off the butt were already starting to check. This surprised me because the weather has been really cold and snowy here so I didn't think it would be drying at all. I initially was just checking the splits for fun but when I started getting lower readings I started checking multiple pieces from different trees. I even went and checked some of the logs that were still there and was getting very similar readings. I also cut some standing dead red elm and tested that I checked and it was what I thought it should be (15). I put some splits of cherry in my house on Friday afternoon and checked it this morning. Moisture meter was stored inside all night so it was room temp as was the cherry. The cherry tested at 17-20. I also checked the red elm and it was any were from 10-15.
This coming week, weather permitting, I will be cutting and splitting white oak and hickory. I will test that and post what it tests. I will add this as a last note. I did cut and test one piece of hickory and it was right around 20. The pice was originally 16 inches in diameter. When split, I checked the exact center and it read 20.5. Checked the other pieces and it read within .5 all the way thru the pieces.

Like I said, I'm not saying I'm right or wrong or anyone else is right or wrong, I'm just relaying my findings.

Moisture meters are also set for Douglas Fur and so readings must be adjusted for species as well as temp. The attached is a species adjustment chart for a duel pin meter. I don't know for sure if it is brand/model specific or not, but probably not. Sorry, I can't find the temp adjustment chart.:mad:
I checked the chart and the species I checked were the same as the correction. Except for cherry, which would have been 2 points higher.

Reactions: blazincajun
Freeze Drying?

Freeze Drying?

Yep, sorta...Watch the ice cubes in your freezer, they will evaporate, slowly. There is a big, long scientific name and explanation but the point is moisture will evaporate in below freezing temps, it may take longer but it does take place. Make sure you've stacked your wood to take best advantage of the winds the year 'round. Air flow is critical for properly drying firewood ...and the evaporation of ice cubes.==c

I believe the freeze drying effect is greater with lower temperatures as well. It should be working real well this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.