Cyberpower CPU odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
I have a Cyberpower CPU for my stove and Ive been on back up with it a few times this year. Each time I noticed a very strong battery odor...like hot batteries. Anyone else getting this? Its not the ignitor over tasking it because I run it on manual non stop i.e. Its hooked up to a thermostat and set on 90 but limited by being on the low setting so it permanently demands heat.

Are you sure it's the UPS battery, and not the motors in the stove overheating? Is the UPS a pure Sinewave type, or a stepped approximation sinewave type?

The motors in these pellet stoves don't like stepped waves.

everyone keptvsaying get an apc es 750. it was a waste of money. ruined the combustion blower. now everyone is saying cyberpowers are pure sine wave up until now. i bought a cyberpower too and now it might not be pure? this is costing me alot of money. id like to get some good iformation on this.

3650 said:
everyone keptvsaying get an apc es 750. it was a waste of money. ruined the combustion blower. now everyone is saying cyberpowers are pure sine wave up until now. i bought a cyberpower too and now it might not be pure? this is costing me alot of money. id like to get some good iformation on this.

It is in the product description......

3650 said:

That APC unit only produced stepped sinewaves.

What model CyberPower unit did you buy? I think they have about 5 units big enough to run a pellet stove that have pure sinewave output.

cyberpower 550 av

Cyberpower makes both types. The AV units are Stepped Sine waves, not good for motors. The PFC units are the "Pure" sine wave units. I say "Pure" because they are still a simulated sine wave, but they are MUCH closer to a true Sine wave. Mike Holton gave me the seal of approval back when I was looking into mine.

I'd do a good check over on your motors and replace the UPS.

Sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.