Cycling on and off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
I installed a setback t-stat the other day and am burning far less pellets now. I have run into a cycling issue. I've noticed that the t-stat will kick the stove off, then when it calls for heat again, the convection blower will kick on and heat the t-stat back to the set temp before the pellets in the pot fire up. The pot gets cleaned every day so I don't think thats the issue. Could the igniter need replaced? I say this because, I'm not sure it's firing the pot up quick enough. My other thought is (and this just came to me) maybe I need to move the t-stat further away. It's about 12 feet away right now. I'll try that when I get home.

If I am understanding the cycling you are having, moving the T-stat farther away should help.

Also, see if the cycle settings on the T-stat can be adjusted to give a longer "off" cycle.

Ranger

Ranger is right..it might be called the anticipator, most programmable thermostats have them in some form or another.

Above mentioned ideas are both good. In addition, make sure the stat is not directly in line with the front of the stove.....if you can offset it some, that will help too.

I set my "anticipator" (swing) to 2 degrees, and seems to work well. My stat is about 15 ft away, and shielded by a small wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.