Damper control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4charlz

Oct 20, 2008
north R.i.
First time on this or any forum, so forgive me if I sound like a fool.

I just purchase a used Enviro EF2 or is it a EF2i not sure. The stove looked pretty clean ( year or so old ) and I had it professionally installed.
Well my problem is that I don't seem to be getting much heat @ least not what I had expected to get. My goal is to @ least supplement my oil heat.
I have a sort of a rudimentary "MAN CAVE" in my basement and although it does not get that cold even in the winter 55-60 degrees.
I was hoping to have the heat transfer up through my floor registers and also up through my basement door.
But it just barely warms up my basement alone. I have never used a pellet stove so I am not so sure how to adjust air flow.
There is what I believe to be a damper control rod on the left hand side with a ball-like knob for grasping. I cannot push nor pull it.
I removed the side panel to investigate if there was something bind it, but nothing that I can see it just won't budge.
I tried tapping it with a hammer in either direction but nothing. I don't want to damage it. After running it for a 24 hour period I had a small thermometer about 3-4 feet away and it only registered @ most 68 degrees. I hope my rambling makes sense . Any recommendations?

Yes I had already done that and not much help there, the damper arm/control is barely even mentioned @ all.
The manual does not look like it was intended for the user but rather for a technician. No trouble shooting is mentioned for my situation.
I'm very discouraged I'm already $1,600 invested into this.

It's mentioned enough to know that it is indeed
supposed to move in/out. Maybe you can investigate
further to see if whatever it's connected to has seized up.
That would be my plan of action if it were mine.

For that kind of coin I wouldn't have purchased it without
being shown a test drive for proof that it worked properly
but I guess that's water under the bridge now.
In the meantime, you may want to check out hearthtools
troubleshooting section on that stove: http://www.hearthtools.com/enviro_pellet.htm

and/or shoot nailed nailer a pm. He has the EF2.

I'm sure some of the folks on here who have experience
with that stove will come by and point you in the right direction
to sniff. Gluck with it!

4charlz said:
......I was hoping to have the heat transfer up through my floor registers and also up through my basement door. But it just barely warms up my basement alone. I have never used a pellet stove so I am not so sure how to adjust air flow.
There is what I believe to be a damper control rod on the left hand side with a ball-like knob for grasping. I cannot push nor pull it.
I removed the side panel to investigate if there was something bind it, but nothing that I can see it just won't budge.
I tried tapping it with a hammer in either direction but nothing. I don't want to damage it. After running it for a 24 hour period I had a small thermometer about 3-4 feet away and it only registered @ most 68 degrees. I hope my rambling makes sense . Any recommendations?

First of all, even if you get the air damper working, don't expect a ton of heat to make it to the upstairs. Pellet stoves are area heaters, and you won't get much transfer through floor registers or the door. You would have been better to put it upstairs if that's the main area you want to heat. And even if you wanted to mainly heat the basement, you have to remember that the stove is going to have to heat up a large mass (foundation) before it effects the room temp.

As for the damper, I'm not familiar with your stove, but if it's anything like mine, remove the side panel, and see if you can spray some WD-40 or rust buster wherever you can see the rod disappear into the airbox.....that rod has got to be able to move....maybe you have one of those little red plastic tubes that go into the spray nozzle to slide into the hole to get as much into the damper area as possible.

Also, remove (unscrew?) the knob, find a nut you can screw onto the threads a little (so the hammer won't mess up the threads), and after letting the rust buster or WD soak for an hour or so, give it a good rap. It IS possible that the rod is all the way IN, and therefore, you'll have to figure a way to pull outward. Body shops have a tool called a slide hammer that would work great for that with a hook adapter on the end.

If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid you either have to tear the stove apart yourself, or get a tech from a stove shop to come do it for you. Good luck.....hope this helped a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.