damper install question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abj1969

Sep 17, 2007
S.Jersey
i am installing a damper in the stack of my wood stove. the stack is 6" ID. the damper id 5 1/2" which is fine. question is how can i drill a hole on both sides of the stack evenly enough to center the damper in the 6" ID of the stack? don't have a bit to go all the way through. can measure the 18" height with no problem but its the front to back that worries me. if on hole is off the damper won't be center and will hit the sides and not close properly. know what i mean? probably an easy way to do it that i'm just over looking.

thanks in advance,
joe

abj1969 said:
i am installing a damper in the stack of my wood stove. the stack is 6" ID. the damper id 5 1/2" which is fine. question is how can i drill a hole on both sides of the stack evenly enough to center the damper in the 6" ID of the stack? don't have a bit to go all the way through. can measure the 18" height with no problem but its the front to back that worries me. if on hole is off the damper won't be center and will hit the sides and not close properly. know what i mean? probably an easy way to do it that i'm just over looking.

thanks in advance,
joe

Drill first hole, measure around the stack and divide by two. Drill second hole.

Kirk22 said:
abj1969 said:

thanks in advance,
joe

Drill first hole, measure around the stack and divide by two. Drill second hole.
Good advice mine is off center and going to put a new one in myself

thanks. got the holes drilled now i just have to get my hand up there and fish the plate onto the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.