Damper on pipe needed for Big Moe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rightnitro

Nov 24, 2018
Sourtheastern NH
Been running a Big Moe for 15 years or so at my parents. There was always a damper on the pipe (in the picture, it was right where that temp gauge is). A few years ago, a guy at a fireplace store told my father the damper wasn't necessary, so he got rid of it. Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference. We just control the air with the two vents on the front, which we were kind of doing anyways even with the damper. I'm just curious what the general opinion is on this.

Stove is in the basement. House is a typical 1800 sqft colonial, bulit in 85. Chimney on outside of house, 35' tall.

Thanks.

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 133
I'd have a damper on the stove pipe. Old stoves like this waste a lot of heat up the flue and with a 35' chimney some draft reduction may be helpful.

That old Moe looks like it has been driven hot and hard.

If you're referring to the gray on it, someone was using it as a stand to spray paint on at one point.
LOL They did a pretty good job of making the stove look overfired.

You can see how the damper works by taking temps at multiple locations. Above the damper, below the damper, and on the stove top. With the damper closed once the fire is burning well the temp above the damper should drop and the stove top should rise. This is because the wood gases stay resident in the stove for longer and burn more completely. In some cases without a damper and strong draft some secondary combustion can even be occuring in the stove pipe.