Damper question from new guy here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfross

Nov 16, 2010
central indiana
Hello,

I just bought a house with a wood-burning fireplace. This is the first fireplace I have had, and i have a question. The fireplace is in the corner of the room and has the screen and the glass doors. When i was buying the house i had them check the chimney to ensure it was clean and ready to use. Here is my question. When the fire is out and i go to bed at night, i close the glass doors but leave the damper open because there are still hot embers in there that can smoke. when i wake up in the morning my house is freezing because damper is open and there is cold air coming in... Is there something i can do prior to going to bed to keep these drafts out short of dowsing the fireplace with water, making sure every ember is out and closing the damper? Any suggestion is GREATLY appreciated...

Scott

This is one of the many problems with old style fireplaces, If it is an older style fireplace, as it sounds, (pics would help understand your setup) even when burning, more heat is sucked out of the house than the fire emits into the house, or so they say. Not that it addresses the immediate problem, but just wondering, does the fireplace have a blower, or heatilator of any sort? Seriously, if you can snap some pics and post them, then we will have a better idea of what you have, and possibly some suggestions.

Oh and welcome to the forum !!!!

You could look at a better sealing glass door as an option, or installing a wood burning fireplace insert as another, for a very many good reason. But the suggestion of the pics is a good one.

If you want heat from the fireplace . . . consider upgrading to a fireplace insert.

If you want ambiance from the fireplace . . . consider buying more blankets.

Traditional fireplaces are very nice to look at . . . but most folks do not consider them to be very efficient at heating a home . . . which is why many folks here end up buying an insert or going with a hearth mounted woodstove . . . and quite honestly, with the larger windows of many of these stoves you end up with both a heating appliance that warms you up . . . and provides some nice ambiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.