Damper Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenwood MWP

Oct 27, 2015
South Coast Massachusetts
Tried this post over in the classic forum and have not had any bites. Thought I would give it a try here before I wing it this weekend.

I have a restored Glenwood Modern Wood Parlor #220 that was installed with two dampers 12" apart on the advice of the restorer/installer. currently the lower damper is located-8" above the top of the stove and 11" above the exhaust elbow. This stove exhausts out the upper rear into a 90d elbow. I am planning on reconfiguring the pipe to make sweeping and cleaning a little easier. Does any one have any advice on minimum height of the lower damper from either the rear elbow or top of the stove? I'm not sure which is more critical. I have seen 6" inches from top mentioned on the forum, but I'm not sure if that's the same for a rear exhaust stove. Thanks guys.

Why did he recommend and
Install two dampers? Seems redundant

He said with this stove in particular from his long experience using them that the double damper is effective for controlling the exhaust. He advised me to adjust them opposite of each other to force the heat and smoke through an S like pattern. I really am not sure of the physics behind it, but it works great. He said there are only a few stove models he recommends it for.

In that case I would just try to keep them the same distance apart or close to it if it's working great for ya!

The goal was to remove a 4-5" piece of cut pipe that was installed to make everything fit. In doing so I would be lowering the damper to about 6" above the stove top. Might just leave it as is like you suggest.

Could always try it, if you notice any
Negative performance impact could always just change it back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.