damper rod issues in a VC 2550 Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

REMI

Nov 19, 2017
Tetonia, idaho
We have a great old (mid 90's) 2550, I rebuilt the inside in 2017 and it has been working great since then, last season the damper rod suddenly came loose and slid partway out on the left side making it impossible to close the damper, I removed the upper fireback to repair it and put it back in place but there does not seem to be anything to keep it in place. not long after it came out again. Im clearly missing something that should keep it in place so It cannot come out. Is there a washer or some devise that Im missing that holds it in place? I need to get it fixed soon. thanks for your expertise... one more thing, is the upper fireback supposed to be cemented in place?

There should be damper rod tabs at each end. Part 1601488. They are #24 in this diagram.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 10.47.16 AM.png

thanks, I don't remember seeing those tabs, I will take a look when I take it apart again, it seems logical that there should be something from allowing the rod to shift from left to right, mine shifted to the left and came out of the hole on the left side of the stove and then the damper would not close properly. Also, when I did the first rebuild, the instructions didn't say anything about cementing the upper fireback in place, there are grooves for a gasket but I don't remember removing any gasket or cement from that part of the stove, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Not sure. defiant3 would probably know.

The ramp and tension seem fine, the whole rod slides out the left side when you open or close the damper, then it jambs and will not close the damper properly, not sure if there is some sort of washer or keeper on the rod itself to keep it from coming out.

Hm. Are you saying….damper works fine when cold but has resistance when hot?

Sounds like the ramp is what maintains tension on the rod. Can it be set tighter?

The damper rod fits into two holes on either side of the upper fire back, when the damper is open, if you pull on the damper handle is will slide out of the far hole and become dislodged, then the damper does not work properly. it seems that there should be some sort of device to keep it in place when the damper is open and the rod is relaxed.

IMG_1022.jpeg

Gee. I had that issue at one point. I think/believe there are two ways to assemble it together. You might have it reversed. I remember the flat steel rod had something to do with it. Just thinking out loud.

The damper rod fits into two holes on either side of the upper fire back, when the damper is open, if you pull on the damper handle is will slide out of the far hole and become dislodged, then the damper does not work properly. it seems that there should be some sort of device to keep it in place when the damper is open and the rod is relaxed.

View attachment 315629
In your picture, the catch on the door holds the rod. You can see the catch on your door bottom LH corner of your picture. When the rod disengages the ramp the other angle part of the rod falls onto the door catch. If it misses the doocatch/stop, the rod continues to rotate and will come out of the far hole. The rod is held in place by tension and somewhere you're losing it either on the ramp or missing the catch. There should be a bushing and a washer on the handle side of the rod. The bushing helps keep the rod in line.

Reactions: begreen
In your picture, the catch on the door holds the rod. You can see the catch on your door bottom LH corner of your picture. When the rod disengages the ramp the other angle part of the rod falls onto the door catch. If it misses the doocatch/stop, the rod continues to rotate and will come out of the far hole. The rod is held in place by tension and somewhere you're losing it either on the ramp or missing the catch. There should be a bushing and a washer on the handle side of the rod. The bushing helps keep the rod in line.

Good evening all. I'm experiencing a somewhat similar problem. I've replaced the damper housing and damper, including ramp and tabs, in my VC Encore. The problem I'm having is that when I turn the damper handle to open the damper, the damper rod will overtravel the notch that opens the damper(picture lower right). In other words, it will begin to open the damper but if I continue to turn the handle it will slide over the damper notch and lose contact with the damper. As for the damper ramp, I could be mistaken but I don't see how that can affect the damper rod when opening the damper. It certainly can impact the compression of the damper against the gasket when closing the damper. I must be missing something so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_0922.jpg IMG_0923.jpg