Damper Sticking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdowling

Hearth Supporter
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Hi I have Vermont Casting Resolute Acclaim stove . I have had it about 6 years . Yesterday after replacing gaskets and a new upper fireback . I noticed after the fire was going the damper shuts like it alway did . But it will not open back. If you open the stove and barely touch it will open back. I never have opened like this as it smells up the house. This is not good. Does the damper open by gravity to fall back? The stove is level. I hope someone can give me some solutions . I really miss the heat quite spoiled to the way it heat so good. I must get this fixed soon. Thanks!

look around it is possible that gasket cement is restriction its movement the damper is controled bya lever to open and close once closed there should be some tension
I think your manual also details how to adjust it It could also be how your new parts align. To lubricat anything one used power grafite.

you have to watch the movement to see where it catches could be as simple as an adjustment file a little but doesnot sound too bad of a problem to solve

Thanks, do you know if the torsion bar attaches to anything or does it just swept up and put tension on the damper ? It looks like it doesn't attach. The Vermont casting manual has no instructions not even a diagram of the parts.

I can look at my encore tomorrow if it cools down from running at 550 all day
This exploded view might help you decide what going on. You might be able to see the travel if you remove the flue collar adapter
http://www.discountstove.com/2490.html

Thanks for the help we took it apart when it cooled and nothing attaches to the damper . The torsion bar sweeps up and closes and then gravity drops it when you take the tension off . We redid the gasket a larger size and after much wait, put it all back together and it worked perfectly. I am so happy. I wanted to post my problem , so if anyone has this problem it probably is the gasket done wrong as it fixed it like new, my husband said I had to much cement on it too. Got up at 6:00 this morning and reloaded it as it was 22 degrees with a wind . Their is nothing like wood stove loaded with white oak at 22 degrees . Talk about comfort I love it. I have two wood stoves that heat my whole house cozy warm. I really like this forum to read people like us who are stove fans also!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.