Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

Would like to put a damper on my double wall 6" pipe.

Where can I get it? Few online places I found don't ship to here or want more to ship than the part costs (about $40 for damper, and then want $50-60 for shipping!).

The local stove place won't carry it. I asked if when they order in their pipe/supplies on a stock order if they could order one and I got a "we'll have to see" Judging from how I was told I CANNOT put it on my stove, I don't think they will act on it.

Told them it would be to shut the stove off in the summer (I'm getting a smell in the house) and also in case of a chimney fire. I then got a story on a properly maintained stove will never cause a chimney fire, etc. Well tell that to my Dad then, Cleans chimney 3-4 times a winter and in ~30 years of burning has has 2 chimney fires. It can happen.

Maybe one of you guys can get it locally and mail it to me??

what make of pipe you gotz on there? that manufacturer may make the damper piece to put in there.

I have one in my double wall pipe since they shipped me the wrong stove adapter when I ordered mine. It doubt it will help to seal out the odors since it doesn't completely close the pipe. There is a pretty good gap around the edges and the center has an opening in it.

A damper won't seal off the smell. Clean the stove and pipe toughly and put some stove deodorizer in it or a box of baking soda. You can cover the chimney in the summer with plastic to seal it but be sure to put a reminder in the stove to take it off before burning.

If the smell is only periodic, you can try lighting a cheap candle in the stove and letting it burn for a while when you notice a problem. That may be enough to get a small draft started and stop the smell.

pen

It's fairly constant, some days worse than others. The pipe is plugged with insulation and still does it. Thought about plugging the OAK as well.

I have one on my shelf gathering dust. I bought it for my hearthstone and it turns out that the collar of a cast iron stove won't fit. It is a Simpson Brand, like new, in original shipping packaging and everything.

If your double wall pipe will mate up with a simpson appliance adapter (including damper) then I can send it to you. Whatever price you can find plus actual shipping cost. I can get some pics for you to if you'd like.

I can't guarantee that the Simpson stuff mates perfectly with the metalbestos stuff but maybe a dealer can verify?

I think the double wall in my house is Simpson actually. Maybe you can take a measurement of the inner and outer pipe and I can check?

Look for the sticker on the back. I can dig out the box for some measurements. The wife will be happy to see that box go.

central plumming and heating has them in town here. thats your best bet to get one locally. its your stove thats stinking i bet and not your chimney. i second the arm and hammer box in the stove suggestion.

I stopped by my stove store at one point and asked to see what a damper looks like (Excel makes propriatary ones for my doublewall), and saw that it has a large proportion of its area open. There are apparently regulations that determine how much open space they have to have. Who knew? Anyway, with that damper, I still wouldn't shut off the pipe even on a horizontal setting. Just thought you might find that interesting.

You are correct. 80% is the closed area on a inline stove damper me tinks. The BK stat damper has better snuffing qualities itself. About the size of a nickle.

Rutland makes a product called "Fireplace Deoderant" I've sold hundreds of bottles over the course of 14 years at my last job. Never had a complaint.

Perhaps, but I don't think it will do much good for a chimney fire.

north of 60 said:
You are correct. 80% is the closed area on a inline stove damper me tinks. The BK stat damper has better snuffing qualities itself. About the size of a nickle.

The point of the damper is to spoil the draft. So that nickel size opening would not let near as much air through with the key damper shut as it would with it open.

The stove is in your basement so why not just remove the pipe and plug it. Maybe stuff a soccer ball in there to make a seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.