1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Q&A Damper

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    QandA New Member Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    We are trying to find a replacement for a damper in our fireplace. It has rusted and we would like to put in a gas log heater. My husband had this put in in 1965 and the only name we can find on it is heat-a-lator. Is this company still in existence? we have been trying to find someplace that could replace this, but have come to a standstill. Thank you Barbar Williams


    It is difficult to replace a rusted out damper in those old heatilators, however, a good chimney sweep may have some ideas for you. One might be to install a top-sealing damper. These fit on the top of the chimney and use a cable which mounts in the fireplace to control the operation.

    Heatilator is still in business, however, as I mentioned, it might be more complicated than just replacing the damper. It's possible that the firebox and other areas close to the damper have also rusted.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page