Danno's fireplace install of "da thirty"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I'm covering up the crappy paver fireplace and extending the hearth. Got the cement poured for the hearth, it's ready to be tiled. I've also got the durock screwed to the brick face. What now? I have an antique mantel that I'll be installing and will be putting bricks around the firebox opening, but the rest of the wall is to be finished and painted to match the walls of the room.

I have all of these seams, do I mesh tape the seams and skim coat the durock?

Lemme see if I can get some pictures of this thing to help...

They make mesh tape specifically for duro. If your painting the duro, then a nice skim coat makes for a smooth finish. Otherwise, tile etc. Just skim the joints and apply thinset over top.

Hope it works out good luck. Get some pics up too.

Pretty much how it was when I moved in, except this is after I painted the doors black. They were nasty brass that was starting to rust.
http://tinyurl.com/3v9dsfm

This is what I'm going for except I will have a much larger hearth to accommodate the 30 and that hearth will be tiled. The 30, of course, will sit inside that firebox opening. Also I'll have a mantel shield.
http://tinyurl.com/3ubmxad

You should always glue the durock first, since you are covering brick use a non-modified thinset then tape the seams with the same thinset, if you are going to paint I would suggest going with an acrylic stucco, otherwise it will be hard to get smooth, unless you know how to plaster.

gregoolman said:
You should always glue the durock first, since you are covering brick use a non-modified thinset then tape the seams with the same thinset, if you are going to paint I would suggest going with an acrylic stucco, otherwise it will be hard to get smooth, unless you know how to plaster.
Glue? Why glue? I thought screws would be best because of the heat application. I'm pretty good with joints and skim coating. Never have plastered, though, unless you are using that term interchangeably with drywalling.

No expert here but I think they cover your questions.

Much agreed, no glue. Masonary nails or screws. Screws are best, i like tap-cons. Try and shoot for 8 to 12 inches on center. Your only painting so the load is only the board, you can get away with 1/4 but im an over killer and would go 5/16 screws. Skim coating very close to plastering. They make a thinset for going verticle, a bit more money, not much, but its less gritty, is thicker and wont run as much as it cures. Also less porus, so maybe wont need so many coats of paint. If i find the name ill report back.

Well, still haven't attacked the surround, but just laid about 22sq ft of tile. Will probably finish a few cuts on tiles tomorrow and then grout later in the day. Then I will attack the surround in the next week or so.

When I say glue, I mean putting thinset on the back of the durock then screwing, this will prevent the hairline cracks on the seams, and yes I have learned the hard way. If you are looking for a smooth finish to match the other walls then just use drywall.

gregoolman said:
When I say glue, I mean putting thinset on the back of the durock then screwing, this will prevent the hairline cracks on the seams, and yes I have learned the hard way. If you are looking for a smooth finish to match the other walls then just use drywall.
Ok, I follow ya. Unless I plan on backing out all the screws, I'm past that point.

Danno77 said:
Pretty much how it was when I moved in, except this is after I painted the doors black. They were nasty brass that was starting to rust.
http://tinyurl.com/3v9dsfm

This is what I'm going for except I will have a much larger hearth to accommodate the 30 and that hearth will be tiled. The 30, of course, will sit inside that firebox opening. Also I'll have a mantel shield.
http://tinyurl.com/3ubmxad

It looks better already!

Is there going to be a big Flat Screen over the Mantel now?

They actually had mesh tape at the big box store that said it's for cement board, so I grabbed a roll.

Got the tile done tonight. I've never done this before, so there is gonna be a lot of glaze to clean off.

Still no pics. I get to working and don't stop to take them. I'll try to take some tomorrow.

Just a quick coating of mud. Not too bad. Will need another coating, then I'll sand smooth. Probably will give up at some point and hide my amateur work with texture spray. Corners suck because I'm used to using that metal corner stuff with paper tape on it, but this is just mesh taped!

Major glazing to clean off the tile, at least it's not a large area.
bed4319c.jpg

Danno two things for the corners, first they make all metal corners, screw or tak into duro then skim over. That and they make a metal corner tool. Its made for doing inside corners, but if you bend the handle it will do outsides nicely. I have two for such reasons. Not expensive either.

That or skim heavy and shortly before it dries take your towel and go in reverse to "cut" off excess.

Good luck

Stump_Branch said:
Danno two things for the corners, first they make all metal corners, screw or tak into duro then skim over. That and they make a metal corner tool. Its made for doing inside corners, but if you bend the handle it will do outsides nicely. I have two for such reasons. Not expensive either.

That or skim heavy and shortly before it dries take your towel and go in reverse to "cut" off excess.

Good luck
Yeah. I have some metal corners from another job. Maybe I'll dig them out. Never was happy with the all metal deals, so started using the paper and metal combo ones. I can't remember what it was aout the all metal ones, think maybe it was deformation when I tried to screw them in (even lightly). I need to skim on enough more that it's not too late to take a try with these corners.

What is the "glazing" on the tile from?

BeGreen said:
What is the "glazing" on the tile from?
My crappy grout job. Ya spread it all around to get into the joints, then there's a film all over. Water and some elbow grease should take it off.

And it's probably called hazing, not glazing. I dunno.

Ok. Just for fun, set the mantel on the hearth. Kinda worried about clearances, but I'm willing to do anything with a heat shield that I need to on the sides or top. Any advice as I move forward? Will heat shields cut it?

I'd call up Mike at Englander and see what they recommend. Or put up a stone mantel and no worries?

the thirty is in place, I've started the chimney install, the tile and surround are incomplete, but things have been hectic with work and weekend soccer games, and also we traveled to Colorado to see Mrs. Danno's grandmother, who had failing health and passed away a couple days ago. This weekend we travel for the services.

Anyway, it sat outside all summer under cover, and now I'm disappointed to see a rust spot on the side near the back. The rust is clearly where something has caused a paint issue. The rust neatly follows what appears to be some large writing, like maybe a marker or the like on the steel before painting. I don't think that most people will notice it, but it's like a scratch on a new car, it will bug me!

I'll cover the stove to do any more hearth and surround work, but if I have to light it up for the season, then it'll all have to wait until next year because I'm running this thing no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.