Danno's fireplace install of "da thirty"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
That hazing won't always come off after it is dry. Especially if the tile you choose has a texture of some sort which most do to make them anti-slip. You may be stuck using some acid to clean those tiles.

Yes, you are supposed to clean them right away with clean water and your big yellow sponge.

Highbeam said:
That hazing won't always come off after it is dry. Especially if the tile you choose has a texture of some sort which most do to make them anti-slip. You may be stuck using some acid to clean those tiles.

Yes, you are supposed to clean them right away with clean water and your big yellow sponge.
Well, then I've been lucky. Did this tonight. Wipes up with a washrag even after sitting since that post about it.

Here's the rust...

Danno,

Just a suggestion, but your stove sides are pretty close to the sides of your fireplace. I would put some side heat shields (16 ga.) on the stove or an inch away from the masonry. That fireplace is going to absorb some major BTU's

Looking really nice, your gonna love it!!!!!

Let it dry, wet tiles always look good.

A picture over lunch. Surely it has dried since last night.

Danno77 said:
A picture over lunch. Surely it has dried since last night.

Try some white vinegar diluted in water......not sure what ratio of water to vinegar, but it will take that hazing off easily.....look it up on the internet...

Scotty Overkill said:
Try some white vinegar diluted in water......not sure what ratio of water to vinegar, but it will take that hazing off easily.....look it up on the internet...
The left was cleaned with water and a rag. The right hasn't been touched. I'll keep your solution in mind if it gives me problems, but I can't imagine that it will.

Hiram Maxim said:
Danno,

Just a suggestion, but your stove sides are pretty close to the sides of your fireplace. I would put some side heat shields (16 ga.) on the stove or an inch away from the masonry. That fireplace is going to absorb some major BTU's

Looking really nice, your gonna love it!!!!!

Just a quick background on the fireplace. It was a homemade heatilator type with a heavy metal firebox and cavities inthe surrounding brickwork for blowers. I filled the cavities, giving me some insulation to the side, also threw some durock up on the brick face that will provide a teensy bit more insulation on the front. Have thought about shiny foil on the steel firebox, wasn't sure of a good way to attach it.

Well, Mike at ESW and I had a nice chat this AM about that rust and he is hooking me up with some touchup paint and gave me some hints on taking care of the root cause.

More importantly, we discussed the clearances of that mantel in the post above and have determined that it will likely not work. We had to use a little armchair expertise to get measurements from the tiles, and guesstimate what clearances we have to work with as well as reduction options. Mike didn't think the stoves side shields would protect far enough forward to help with the mantle legs, and we think that even putting a shield right on the legs might not be enough to be within code.

I'll take measurements to confirm, but it's probably a no go. Kinda bummed about it, but Mike reminded me that I have a nice blank canvas to work with so the options are endless.

I'd like to point out (because i'm an ESW fanboy) that Mike contacted me, initially. Does your stove company do that? Morso ever call you up and talk about what could be a cool mantle option for your setup? Didn't think so.

Definitely gonna take some getting used to. Started a fire earlier, and felt like I was having issues getting the draft to hold.

Grabbed some extra length of pipe and climbed up on the roof for a test. Really took off after doing that, was able to close the door and keep the fire going.

I need to figure out how to burn in the 500 range. Right now it's cruising with the secondaries going around 700. Not confirmed with the iR gun. The room it's in was 85 and climbing when I started this post.

Nothing that burning it a few times can't fix. Just need to get comfortable with it.

So, loaded that thing up at about 8:30 last night. Randomly placed and randomly sized pine that couldn't be loaded very nicely. Posted last nite at 10:30 (see above), then woke up at around 5 this morning and the room was still 80 and there were enough coals to get a few more sticks going until I could reload before work.

8.5 hours between loads without even trying AND using pine? I think I like where this is going.

Loaded it again at 6:55, this time nicely packed with oak and black walnut mix. Left it wide open until 7:20, then shut it down to about 1/3 and left. Hopefully can make it home over lunch to make sure the place didn't burn down (new stove jitters).

Touch up paint came on Saturday, cleaned up that rust yesterday. I'll probably light the stove tonight and cure the paint. Right now the spot I cleaned up looks a little better than the rest of the stove, but it sits back in the fireplace anyway!

Danno77 said:
Well, Mike at ESW and I had a nice chat this AM about that rust and he is hooking me up with some touchup paint and gave me some hints on taking care of the root cause.

More importantly, we discussed the clearances of that mantel in the post above and have determined that it will likely not work. We had to use a little armchair expertise to get measurements from the tiles, and guesstimate what clearances we have to work with as well as reduction options. Mike didn't think the stoves side shields would protect far enough forward to help with the mantle legs, and we think that even putting a shield right on the legs might not be enough to be within code.

I'll take measurements to confirm, but it's probably a no go. Kinda bummed about it, but Mike reminded me that I have a nice blank canvas to work with so the options are endless.

I'd like to point out (because i'm an ESW fanboy) that Mike contacted me, initially. Does your stove company do that? Morso ever call you up and talk about what could be a cool mantle option for your setup? Didn't think so.

My sandstone (looks about the same distance) mantel gets piping warm..

Looks good!
I have left grout on tile overnight plenty of times..comes right off ..if you do it dry with a buffer it really looks good..hell you can even wax it and buff after that.
Non-sanded grout is what I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.