Darn neighbors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbors... >:-( Gotta love them. No matter how much you bend over backwards. You will not and can not please some. I've got one neighbor like that, I thought my fence would take care of the issue, nope. So now I let my chainsaw and splitter, and anything else gas powered help them out. But get the shield on, get legal and tell them that they are Number 1. :zip:

Biff_CT2 said:
shawneyboy said:
fredarm said:
"but like the inspector said:eek:nce you put the heat shield they can’t say anything,what if you had a fireplace?they can’t do nothing.and he is a wood burner guy,so he knows."

Sounds like the inspector is trying to be reasonable. He's caught between a complaining neighbor and an uninspected install. It seems like he just wants it installed to code and then he'll leave you alone (assuming you don't blanket the neighborhood in smoke, which it sounds like you don't).

I think that nails it on the head. The inspector is stuck, the neighbor is a douche. IMHO

Shawn

I think your conclusion is premature.

There are always two sides to the story, and the truth usually lies between.

It's rare for somebody to wake up one day and decide to start screwing with the neighbor just because he runs a stove. I'd be inclined to believe that there's a history, and that the incident likely could have been avoided by doing a bit of communicating with the neighbors.

A wood burner creates a nuissance to his neighbors - regardless of how clean you think you run. You can tell yourself (and this forum) all day that your wood is dry, and nothing but steam comes out of your chimney - but that's a load of crap. The closer your neighbors, the greater the nuissance you pose to them. And in denslely populated places like Hartford, where people pay some highest electricity rates in the country in exchange for cleaner air, people have a right to put limits on burning. I'm surprised it's still allowed in a city like Hartford. When you burn, you freeload off something that everyone collectively has paid dearly for - clean air. And you do it solely for your own benefit - which isn't fair. The degradation to local air quality simply isn't acceptable.

It makes little sense to piss off your neighbors in a densely packed area trying to save a few bucks heating your home with wood. If that kind of attitude becomes widespreadwood burning will certainly get regulated into extinction. As it stands burning should be banned in some areas.

Yeah, I've gotta go ahead and disagree with a lot of this, sorry but there's a lot wrong with this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.