dead ash ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxjamie540

Nov 10, 2009
southern illinois
here are some pictures of a tree I am hoping to take down. To me it looks to be an Ash, but I was just wanting second, third, and fourth opinions on the matter.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 287
I'll second ash

Bark and trunk is barking ash. Look at the trunk. The squiggly trails on the trunk, confirms it. Those are ash borer trails.

gzecc said:
The squiggly trails on the trunk, confirms it. Those are ash borer trails.

Exactly

Thanks guys..... I thought I had it confirmed in my own mind..... but I really do now!

I thought the lines were from EAB, however, my county is not listed as having cases of EAB yet...... are those lines synonomous with Emeral Ash Borer,
or just another boring bug?

mxjamie540 said:
Thanks guys..... I thought I had it confirmed in my own mind..... but I really do now!

I thought the lines were from EAB, however, my county is not listed as having cases of EAB yet...... are those lines synonomous with Emeral Ash Borer,
or just another boring bug?

I doubt its EAB. For as long I've been handling ash, I've seen those squiggly furrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.