wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
If you didn't see my post in Work Done 2024, I was dropping a dead standing ash, that got tied up on this tree. Was a bit of a challenge but I got them both down. Just wondering what type of wood it is so I can season it properly.

what1.jpeg what2.jpeg

It kinda looks like hemlock to me. Are there any little cones around it on the ground or on any of the small branches? They'd be pretty small, like 1" long or smaller.

Maple

Yes, sugar maple.

Thanks Everyone. Probably going to split that today. So good to know so I can keep separate from other wood needing more/less drying time.

I believe that dark coloring in the middle is called spalting. Sometimes makes nice boards.
Yes it's spalting and that's definitely maple. Hard to tell in the pic but if there's any red tinge to it it's box elder (a type of maple). Judging by the size I'd guess red maple. Was it a single trunk or multiples? Sugar maple trunks often branch out into many not too far up.

Yes it's spalting and that's definitely maple. Hard to tell in the pic but if there's any red tinge to it it's box elder (a type of maple). Judging by the size I'd guess red maple. Was it a single trunk or multiples? Sugar maple trunks often branch out into many not too far up.
Bark says it's not elder. Doesn't look like red maple from the pics. I'm stickin, pun intended, with sugar.

It was a single trunk. Only cut it down because the Ash was hung up on it. The ash was too wide for my saw so I had to take out two wedges. That just pushed my geometry a little bit right of target.

I am liking to look at wood from different areas of this USA.

The dark center is called heartwood. Spalting is thin black lines wandering about the sapwood in maple. Spalting is not found in living trees (around here)

That bark does not look like any red or sugar maple growing in the UP. Sugar maple typically has a small heartpwood and red maple a larger heartwood. In this neck of the woods, the heartwood tends to be round.