Dead elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Anyone else burn dead elm. No bark at all? Best burning and hottest for me so far. I am new to burning in addon burner.

Attachments

• IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 373
I have burned dead elm on quite a few occasions. It burns well. "Hot" can be viewed in many ways. Peak temps, longevity, coaling properties, density of wood (BTU per stick) can all be part of the game. So what makes it "hot" for you?

Bwhunter85 said:
Anyone else burn dead elm. No bark at all? Best burning and hottest for me so far. I am new to burning in addon burner.
Have not burnt any in a while but that is one wood you can always count on for burning well, over 30 years ago I would stuff a large round that just barely fit in the door and it would burn all day long and I had coals when I got home from work. Some give Elm a bad rap but except for the splitting it will heat your house over night start easily and its ready to burn when cut (dead no bark standng) so what's not to like.

Bwhunter85 said:
Hot to me is getting the house above 75 on a cold winter day. Lol.

Priceless. ;-)

Yup . . . usually end up with a little bit of elm every year as the trees on my property only grow so long before they start to die off.

I've burned quite a bit that looks like that...good stuff. It tends to leave a lot of clinkers in the ashes is my only complaint.

got 2 big elms that my neighbor cut down. (they were still good tree's) I have not burned any yet it still checks out in the 30+% on the meter maybe next year.

I heard it smells bad when it burns.

Not bad stuff.Dropped 4 Elm snags last Monday,4" to 15" diameter.Tried splitting one of the biggest ones,X25 just went in part way.Looks like I'll wait for a hard freeze then break out the 20lb sledge & wedges & monster maul soon.

delete

We've burned dead elm for many, many moons and still like it. There is a world of difference between dead elm and live elm. If you cut a green elm tree, figure on some of the most difficult splitting you'll ever get. That leaves the logs very stringy. Then when you burn it, it is more like kindling and burns extremely fast. However, wait until the bark has fallen from the elm and most of the time it will split very easy and will burn much better. Also, if cutting the dead elm, most times the top third or top half of the tree is ready to burn right then but the bottom part of the tree will have much sap and needs to wait a year before burning.

Burning it now it is burning at 350 now it is good wood

Status
Not open for further replies.