Dead Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plow Boy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2012
Iron Station, NC
I was riding though my trail today and found a pretty good size red oak DOA. I can't believe I haven't spotted it before. But in my defense I just started paying more attention since I've been burning wood
uploadfromtaptalk1373504291217.jpg

And of course I got it hung up and had to pull it down with the tractor. What can I say I'm a pro. :cool:

Not a leaf on it as u can see.
uploadfromtaptalk1373504466844.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1373504508323.jpg

Got it cut up for the most part. Will bring it up to the house tomorrow for some more fun at the splitter :D

uploadfromtaptalk1373504694181.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1373504706701.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1373504727217.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1373504743842.jpg

Reactions: ScotO and Plow Boy
what are you carrying it out of the woods with? That red thing, what is it? Or who makes it? Its got regular truck wheels on it.

That is my snapper ground cruiser. :)

Reactions: ScotO
Nice score ! Don't know how you did it in the heat & humidity .

Thanks, I did most of it after a evening thunderstorm when it had cooled off a little bit. It wasn't to bad in the woods

Get back out on your paths and see what else you can find. You will be amazed like you said when you start focusing

I saw another one right behind this one, didnt look too hard at it yet. I just noticed it was also dead. I have a very nice stand of mature hardwoods and plan to keep it that way. I try to find dead ones or weed out undesirables. And of course get from other people. :)

I started splitting the red oak today.

jeffs phone 7-11-13 014.jpg

jeffs phone 7-11-13 015.jpg

Had a little trouble getting out of the woods though.
jeffs phone 7-11-13 019.jpg jeffs phone 7-11-13 020.jpg

had to pull the splitter out with the truck, my snapper couldn't handle the mud and all the weight.

jeffs phone 7-11-13 021.jpg jeffs phone 7-11-13 022.jpg jeffs phone 7-11-13 023.jpg

Got a good bit of wood split today, just a little more work than I wanted to do for it. !!!

jeffs phone 7-11-13 018.jpg jeffs phone 7-11-13 017.jpg

Now its time to pressure wash, oh well. :oops:

Attachments

• jeffs phone 7-11-13 016.jpg
    jeffs phone 7-11-13 016.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 126
Beautiful wood.

Do you leave any dead standing for the wildlife?

I usually leave the dead standing (unless a safety threat) and try to cut defective/crooked etc smaller trees. And, of course, split and burn most of the fallen giants, though I do leave a few to decompose on the forest floor, for the health and diversity of the forest.

Yes, I have a bunch of old small trees composting on the floor. and there is several smaller hardwoods that have tenants in them. I leave occupied trees along if they are not to big. My kids play a lot in those woods so this one being where it was located and how big it was had to go.

Reactions: ScotO and rideau
That looks like it was a pretty good load for that trailer. Also looks like a lot of mud. Glad we don't have it that bad.

That looks like it was a pretty good load for that trailer. Also looks like a lot of mud. Glad we don't have it that bad

Yeah I'd say I was probably overloading it and as far as the mud, you have no idea. It has rained like 30 inches here during the month of June and about half that for July.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yeah I'd say I was probably overloading it and as far as the mud, you have no idea. It has rained like 30 inches here during the month of June and about half that for July.

Nice score! I hear ya on the rain, local creeks flooding as we speak. My spring has been dried up by July for the 12 years we've been here, but is still running strong now.

*** Don't forget to change the oil after a couple of hours on that new splitter! ;)

Don't forget to change the oil after a couple of hours on that new splitter

are u talking about the break-in oil in the motor? I assumed the hydro. oil should be good just maybe change the spin on filter.

Yeah, break in oil. I got to splitting and almost forgot when I got mine fired up for the first time, having a blast.
Luckily I happened to kick the new oil jug over getting yet another round.

Reactions: Plow Boy
Man, why'd ya pull that trailer outta there with half a load? ;)

Real nice, red oak. I got a bunch of it here. Next time I get some I'm stackin' it in single rows. Mine's been sitting for 3 or 4 years, I lost count. It's grey on the ends, but when I pull a split it sure ain't grey in the middle, stacked in double rows. I guarantee it'll burn sweet this winter.

Nice find... The Oaks are taking a massive hit all over the US from various pests, disease and drought. There are some massive oaks dead here.
My back is Fubared or I would be after them myself.:( Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Plow Boy
yeah, I've got a couple of trees close together where the red oak was that are dead. I don't know if it was a lighting strike or what. the oak was eat slap up with termites.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
For the second trip I brought the rounds to the splitter by the wood pile. So no splits on the trail sry

Reactions: Woody Stover

Wow.gif 30" of rain in one month! No wonder you have mud. That is more rain than many places receive in a year.

yeah, it is pretty unreal. if you count july we have had even more than that. I think we have had around 8 inches so far in july. looks like we are turning into a rain forest lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.