Death of a sensor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
Small setback in chez Nofossil last night - my draft sensor seems to have died.

The sensor is (was?) wonderfully sensitive. You could register a big change just by blowing at it. It's rated for a max pressure of just under 1 psi.

I connected it to a port on my flue using a 12" x 1/8" brass pipe and a length of silicone tubing. Without a fire, it immediately jumped to a reading of .4" H20. I know that's wrong - the flue is definitely not at positive pressure compared to the room.

I removed the sensor, and it seemed fine. Reinserted it and started fire. Stayed with a steady reading of .4" until I removed it. It then gave me a series of unreasonable outputs, ending with it being stuck at about 1".

The long tubing should have protected it from any change of flue gas contamination, and the problem started before the fire was lit. I'm thinking it may have been mechanical stress on the sensor housing. I have a spare, and more testing will ensue.

Lesson learned - mount pressure sensors with the port facing down. Apparently, a microscopic dirt particle fell into the sensor. Its weight on the sensor surface was enough to cause all the problems. Holding the sensor port-down and banging it solved the problem.

Draft (with no fire) now is fluctuating between .03 and .04" - can't wait for fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.