1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

December greenhouse harvest

Post in 'The Green Room' started by begreen, Dec 26, 2011.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Marconi peppers finally turned red just as the plant started dropping leaves. This is a real treat and very Christmassy.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Very nice. And some herbs. How many degrees warmer is the greenhouse compared to outside temps? Is your green house attached to your house or separate free standing?
  3. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's freestanding. Temps vary with the weather, but we have had an unseasonably dry December. That's helped daytime temps to go up to around 65-70 in the greenhouse. Nightime drops to about 10 degrees over ambient. Fortunately it has not dropped to lower than about 30F this winter so far, so nightime temps in the greenhouse are in the 40's. The herbs are rosemary which is outdoors and a pretty tough plant. In the greenhouse, the lime plants seem pretty happy too this winter.
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    That is a treat!

Matt
  5. colebrookman

colebrookman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middlefield, Ma
    Just finished a blueberry pie, home made with our own wild blues. Also plenty of raspberries in the freezer for pies and muffins. They taste even better in the middle of winter after a day cutting wood. Be safe.
    Ed
  6. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Those are beautiful peppers, really nice pictures of them too.

And it shows growing your own really does pay off when you can produce great quality food in your own backyard.

Hopefully it'll inspire others to have a try, I'm certainly going to make more effort growing peppers next year, I already have the seeds...... ;-)
  7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    How big is it? Do you provide any supplemental heat to the greenhouse when the temps get to low? Also attaching your sunspace to your house is a great heat maker on sunny winter days ,it heats my house to about 78 on most sunny winter days. ALso any heat lost off the house overnight goes right into the sunspace. i wish mine were bigger. Its about 24 x6 All i grow at the moment is parsley and lime trees which i wheel inside the house overnight. The desert palm stays.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's 10x24'. Our old Jotul 602 is in the greenhouse for supplemental heat, but it hasn't been fired up this year so far. I have 5 dark garbage cans filled with water that helps stabilize the temps a bit too. We couldn't attach the greenhouse with our house layout, but my sister has an attached greenhouse that is designed to supplement house heat. It does a nice job of keeping the house warm when it's sunny outside. With R10 glass, it also holds the heat pretty well overnight.
  9. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    I can imagine a greenhouse with an old wood stove with back boiler feeding a thermal store to keep things frost free.

That could be a doable diy project for someone who had thought about doing a thermal store for the house, but wanted experience first.

Just typing that has made me start thinking.......... ;-)
  10. dumbodog00

dumbodog00 New Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Any pictures of the greenhouse? I would eventually like to put someting in at our house and I am always looking for ideas.
  11. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Look great BG.

Need to do some greenhouse talk w/ you if you are willing.

pen
  12. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    BG that is awesome!! I practically drooled with those beautiful veggies on my screen lol.. I would love to have fresh tomatoes right about now!

Ray
  13. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    Someday I will have a nice greenhouse built. I would like to have one attached to our home, but the wife doesn't like the idea. Those marconi peppers are my favorite. Some of the ones picked from the garden this year were the size of a quart mason jar. Good flavor!
  14. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    Nice harvest BG, I'm envious that you can get stuff like that this late in the season. One of these days I'd love to have a greenhouse I can do that with. IN the meantime we only use ours as a seed starting device in about March.

Post some pictures of your setup if you get a chance.
  15. spirilis

spirilis Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Market, MD
    I remember seeing pics in one of the many articles about Rocket Stove Mass Heaters where someone built a rocket mass heater for his greenhouse with a cob thermal mass, worked out well since there was plenty of dirt available from the landscaping. Sounds like it'd be a nice structure to try your hand at the craft of rocket mass heaters...
  16. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA

Attached Files:

17. Cazimere

Cazimere Member

Loc:
    Delmarva
    Very nice setup. Do you hand pollinate your tomatos ?
  18. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks! In the cooler weather, yes. It's pretty easy. I just give the tomato plant a gentle shake daily. Our cucumbers do a pretty good job of self pollinating. The eggplants need a bit more manual pollinating.
  19. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    What kind of greenhouse is that BG?

Also my wife is interested in the ground cloth that you see there in the picture.
  20. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The greenhouse is home built from scratch using windows and doors from our 2006 house remodel. If the wife is interested, there are less expensive routes to take. The ground cloth is heavy-duty, commercial, nursery landscape fabric. It's much tougher than the ordinary, big box stuff.
  21. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    Well for now we have an aluminum greenhouse that works great as a shoulder season and seed starting setup. Later this year we'll have to see about getting some of that garden fabric. I'm slowly renovating our property as I have time.