Decent days work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
My crew started at 8am,this 70 foot hemlock was getting too big and leaning towards the house,hated to take it down but had no choice. The crew started it ,climbed hem1.jpeg hem1.jpeg it,chipped all branches and cut it into 18 in pieces for future Blaze king fodder. Hemlock burns phenomenal after one year in a King.From standing to split to stacked,I work with the guy on the ground we are LEO's,his boss climbs,they get paid $250 a day .

Attachments

• hem2.jpg
    hem2.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 274
  • hem3.jpg
    hem3.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 281
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it splits nicely too. Nice score!

Nice shoulder season wood. Mine is not so easy to split....

Nice. From standing to split and stacked in one day, color me impressed.

Had a neighbor who said he had an Ash tree taken down and asked me if I wanted the wood. I said sure, even though he said it hadn't died that long ago. I thought that was odd because there hasn't been an Ash tree alive around here in 10 years. Almost all the bark was off, and it looked like Ash, until I went to split the first big round, instantly new it was Elm. :/ Myself , the splitter and the hatchet got it CSS, and it will make nice firewood, but man I hate Elm. Have 3 more dying on my property as we speak.

I don’t mind elm. It’s a little more work on the splitter, but it seems to burn nice, with a neat blue’ish flame. I’ve never looked up the BTU value, but my gut tells me it must be high.

I would not want it if I still split by hand, but the hydraulics make quick work of it, most of the time.

I don’t mind elm. It’s a little more work on the splitter, but it seems to burn nice, with a neat blue’ish flame. I’ve never looked up the BTU value, but my gut tells me it must be high.

I would not want it if I still split by hand, but the hydraulics make quick work of it, most of the time.

yep. it splits real nice with hydraulics... burns real nice when its dry.

Had a neighbor who said he had an Ash tree taken down and asked me if I wanted the wood. I said sure, even though he said it hadn't died that long ago. I thought that was odd because there hasn't been an Ash tree alive around here in 10 years. Almost all the bark was off, and it looked like Ash, until I went to split the first big round, instantly new it was Elm. :/ Myself , the splitter and the hatchet got it CSS, and it will make nice firewood, but man I hate Elm. Have 3 more dying on my property as we speak.
Splits easier the drier it is,burns hot, I don't look for it but have several dead standing here.

I wont cut elm anymore i just dont find it worth the extra work.

I try not to, but its all i have in my yard....
I have lots of other stuff to choose from. I actually cut one down in the yard last year and just pulled it back into the woods. I dont want to mess with splitting it

I have lots of other stuff to choose from. I actually cut one down in the yard last year and just pulled it back into the woods. I dont want to mess with splitting it
my neighbor took down one and dragged it into my yard :) Then he cut it up and stacked it so I can split it and burn it. Such a nice neighbor.

Reactions: bholler
I have a huge row of Siberian elms in my yard that I've split a lot of, but have yet to burn. Probably this year, although at that point it will only be 1 year split. Trying to hold off til year 2. So far, it just seems like semi soft wood, kinda a crappy texture to it. I'm not expecting it to be great firewood, although the dead brush I've burned in the yard from those trees has put off huge flames.

Splits easier the drier it is,burns hot, I don't look for it but have several dead standing here.

That's good to know, maybe I'll cut and stack the Elm and then split and stack it after a year and then burn it a year later.