Decision Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Bob

Nov 6, 2007
Lower Huson Valley NY
Hello everybody,
I'm in the process of re-introducing a wood burning stove to my house. The house is an early 1950’s one story ranch, with basement. It was originally heated by a stove of some sort and over the years a gas furnace force-air system was added (1989 on the name plate). The walls are plaster/lattice and there is about 1030 sqft to heat (top level only), there is extra insulation in the attic rafters (but that maybe the only insulation in the house). My goal is to use less of the gas furnace which has trouble keeping up in late January through February. The stove was on the top level and centrally located, I still have a slate pad and faux brick insulation on the wall where the stove was located. Also I have the pipe running from my ceiling through my roof, although it needs inspection and possibly repair. Aside from that, I have narrowed my search of a stove to two Hearthstone models; the Tribute and the Craftsbury. What if any opinions can you add as to the quality, performance and maintenance of these stoves. Any help would be appreciated. Thnx.

I would check the fuel price reports before investing the $$ into the wood stove. You may find out depending on your situation that the wood would cost more than the gas would plus the work that comes with burning firewood....cutting/splitting/feeding.

You might better reach your goal with more insulation blown into the walls?

I would also try the search function and the review section of this site where people review diffrent wood burning apliances.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.