1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Deconstructing Denniswood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Battenkiller, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Try it, Pen. It gets you high as a kite, and it's cheaper than a fridge full of beer.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Battenkiller

Loc:
    As long as it isn't Denniswood you'd probably be fine.
  3. Battenkiller

Loc:
    Yes, very interesting. That density stuff relates directly to BTU content. Lots of species there as well, more than I've seen in any one place before. Lotta oven-drying went into getting that info.
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Yes. RE BTU content, that's exactly what I was thinking. I know I've said some things about my Black Walnut seeming to be better than what I tend to read in BTU charts, its density is something that I may look into. I just want some hard data, s that I know I'm not just imagining it.

BW is my favorite firewood. Seems to season quick, splits like a dream, and smells good, if I could determine that the BTUs are there, then that would be the icing on the cake.
  5. Battenkiller

Loc:
    If you are willing to carefully do the oven drying, I can help walk you through through a few different ways to determine the density. You would need several blocks from various parts of a few different trees to get a good estimate. And a good kitchen scale. A beam balance would be even better, but why would you have one of those? :roll: Might be fun, and you could get the real MC while you are at it.
  6. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
  7. Battenkiller

Loc:
    That digital scale should be good enough. Do you have a band saw or table saw, or easy access to them? A dial caliper is also a very nice thing to have for this. With these items and some careful work you can get a direct measurement of the volume of a cube of oven-dried wood.

Alternatively, you can rig up a small displacement tank and get the volume that way. By pushing the block under water you will displace the volume of the block. You need to collect and weight the displacement water in grams. That will be your volume in milliliters. From that and the oven-dry weight you can figure your density.
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Did you hear that? That was the fuse in my head getting lit. ITS GONNA BLOW...
  9. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Absolutely fascinating and enlightening thread.
  10. bpm44

bpm44 Member

Loc:
    WNY
    Totally fascinating thread. I will sheepishly admit at times I felt like I was back in school and the answers coming out of the calculus teachers mouth sounded like blah blah blah. I'm glad there's no test, but I follow what you're explaining. Nice details. Nicely presented.
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I'm holding out for the movie version . . . they always dumb things down in the movie so people like me can understand the message. ;) :)

--

Coming to a Theater near you . . .

Deconstructing Denniswood . . . one man's wood's journey from Milan to Minsk and then to Michigan to New York . . .

Featuring Backwoods Savage as himself . . . a man with a mission . . . to cut a whole lot of ash and split wood the wrong way.

Batten Killer . . . a man looking for a home to call his own . . . a man who lives on the edge and isn't afraid to burn some pressure treated wood . . . a man who is dedicated to science.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Might worth a $10 barrel 'o popcorn! %-P
  13. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    That, sir, is epic. Especially when you read it to yourself using the "Movie Guy Voice" (TM).
  14. Battenkiller

Loc:
    Ha, ha! I love it!

Hold a minute... that's Spielberg on my cell right now.......

OK..... Looks like we got Robert Duvall for the part of Sav, and Matt Damon as the much, much, much younger savant named Battenkiller.

We're calling it , "Good Wood Hunting".
  15. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Can this be filmed as a badly voiced over, Asian Martial Arts movie? It would really give it some "pizazz".
  16. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I'm just wondering who the stunt doubles will be? Oops . . . derailed. . . .
  17. Battenkiller

Loc:
    I think I can convince Spielberg to go along with that.

I'll say, "Steve"..... I call him Steve.... "You shouldn't fear a martial arts defence system. As a matter of fact, why don't you cooperate with us on a martial arts defense system?"
  18. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    OK, somebody give me the high sign when it's alright for me to either move this thread or shut it down. Last time I tried I got in big trouble because I wasn't prescient enough to realize that BK wasn't finished yet with the serious stuff, even though the kids in the class had started getting fidgety and really silly waiting for him to continue the lecture. Actually, BK, I would highly encourage you to write this up as a Hearth.com Wiki article. Too much good information here to just let fade away into obscurity in a zombie thread. Rick
  19. Battenkiller

Loc:
    Pull it, Rick. I'll work on an article when I have time.
  20. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    It's excellent work and a unique contribution, BK...Thanks! For now I'll just close it and leave it where it is. I look forward to the Wiki article. Rick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.