Deer atacks cat and dog.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My cats stay in the house. My dog's either in the house, in the fenced back yard, or out on a leash. Thems the rules. Too many deer, coyotes, great horned owls, and who knows what out there to let my pets wander around. My vet bills are already high enough. Rick

Someone posted this on another site I visit. It really is the fault of the people running the camera, they were probably thinking "how neat a little fawn and it's mommy". It's a wild animal and will attack if it feels it's little one is being threatened. Everyone should have gave her space or ran her and the little one off instead of worrying about running the camera.

Also what was the dog doing running the streets? I think most places have leash laws.

Our town has a leash law, But no one follows it. Same with the poop law. They let them crap anywhere and do pick up after them.

The leash isn't just to protect others from your dog, It also protects the DOG!

I'm betting the dog turned out to be just fine. This same thing (minus the cat) happened last week in my fathers yard, to his neighbors dog. A Doe dropped a fawn in my dads Christmas tree field and the neighbors dog came a little too close. My dad walked out to the dog yelping and the doe pile driving its hooves onto the dog. He said it was on top of the dog slamming up and down. He chased the deer off and the dog was fine....probably sore and freaked, but fine nonetheless.

I'm surprised that the dog in the film and at my dads cowered to the deer and didn't lash out at all. I know they both got charged but still, I'd never think they would be so defenseless.

This just made me think back when I was in middle school. My best friend and I were out scouting out a new place to play some paintball behind my house. Little did we know we were smack of the middle of the deer rut. We climbed up a hill to find two huge bucks foaming at the mouth and following a doe. The bucks spotted us immediately and came charging at us forcing my friend and I up a tree! I cant even imagine what would have happened if we hadn't gone up that tree! We sat up on the branches for a good 30 minutes after the deer were out of sight, than ran home fast as we could!!

One big problem is, most folks dont know the power of a deer and the what they will do to protect their young. I would never let my lab approach a deer let alone one with a fawn! Stupid move for that owner but again, they probly had no idea.

Heck i stopped to finish a deer that'd been hit by a car only to find a lady huggin it sayin "you can't kill it, i wont let you". About 30 seconds after that the deer knocked her on her ass and took off across the road only to get hit again. They are STRONG animals!

Not sure why folks hide their cats and dogs. I suppose some are just not cut out for mingling with the natural world. AS for mine, my two cats and my less than year old kitten as well as my 1.5 yr old mutt spend more time outside than inside. The kitten will be a year old next month and will spend all night outside sometimes. Yes, we have coyotes, fox, deer, turkeys, hawks, owls and the occasional bear in the woods behind the house.

Dont get me wrong, my lab has full reign of the property but when there's deer in the bogs out back i make sure she get's nowhere near em. Dont need her gettin wooped on by a pissed off deer.

mikepinto65 said:
This just made me think back when I was in middle school. My best friend and I were out scouting out a new place to play some paintball behind my house. Little did we know we were smack of the middle of the deer rut. We climbed up a hill to find two huge bucks foaming at the mouth and following a doe. The bucks spotted us immediately and came charging at us forcing my friend and I up a tree! I cant even imagine what would have happened if we hadn't gone up that tree! We sat up on the branches for a good 30 minutes after the deer were out of sight, than ran home fast as we could!!

Just be lucky the bucks didn't catch you and have their way with you. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.