Defiance Company fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Disturbed1

Feb 11, 2018
Illinois
I am new to this thread so please bear with me if this has been discussed before. I recently acuired a Defiance Company stove from my Father in Law for $100. I'm turning our garage into our master bedroom and plan on putting it in there as a main heat source. It will be free standing, will it be ok on just fireboard? Do I line just the bottom with the fire brick? Do I need a damper in my stove pipe? Do I need blowers? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Welcome. This is a Defiant freestanding stove, correct? There are a couple issues with this plan. First, a wood stove in a bedroom is against code in most jurisdictions and second, why use an old inefficient stove for this purpose? If permitted, there are affordable modern stoves that will burn cleaner and use less wood.

It's actually a insert from what Info I can find on it. I have checked with our code enforcement officer and there are no regulations concerning where it is put. I' going to use it because it was cheap, and worked great for my grandmother In law for years to heat her whole home. And I'm getting two sections of new pipe in exchange for the garage door I took out to frame in the garage. I will try to post a pic. Of it tomorrow.

It's actually a insert from what Info I can find on it. I have checked with our code enforcement officer and there are no regulations concerning where it is put. I' going to use it because it was cheap, and worked great for my grandmother In law for years to heat her whole home. And I'm getting two sections of new pipe in exchange for the garage door I took out to frame in the garage. I will try to post a pic. Of it tomorrow.
That seems quite odd. Wood stoves are not permitted in bedrooms except in special circumstances and an insert is designed to work in a masonry fireplace. Nothing is cheap when lives are at risk. Check with your insurance company.

I'm not too concerned with insurance, it'l go up I'm sure. What seems odd? I live in a rather small community and there are a lot of people around that use wood stoves. I'm just trying to make sure I get it set up the best I can.

I'm not too concerned with insurance, it'l go up I'm sure. What seems odd? I live in a rather small community and there are a lot of people around that use wood stoves. I'm just trying to make sure I get it set up the best I can.
It is not an issue of it going up. They can easily drop you completly and if something happens they can deny your claim. And the fact is there are very good reasons that the codes forbid wood stoves in bedrooms. And Illinois does follow irc and nfpa so it is not allowed by code unless you get a written waiver by the code official whoch would put any and all liability directly on them. They simply dont do that.

Ok, well now that we have gotten the "You can't do that" out of the way, I'm still putting it in. Can you or anyone else answer my questions or do i just go at it alone?

Ok, well now that we have gotten the "You can't do that" out of the way, I'm still putting it in. Can you or anyone else answer my questions or do i just go at it alone?
I am not goving you advice on how to do an inherently unsafe install no.

This is an insert, it is designed to be installed in a masonry fireplace, not freestanding. It was never tested for this application. The stove may have been cheap (though that is an average price) but human life is not.

Well it was used freestanding to heat a house for 20+ years with no problems so I'm not too concerned. That's fine if you don't want to help, but hopefully someone will.

Well it was used freestanding to heat a house for 20+ years with no problems so I'm not too concerned. That's fine if you don't want to help, but hopefully someone will.

Don't misunderstand the replies you get. The members on this forum, and many are professional installers, are aiming for only legal and safe installs and use of wood stoves and inserts.

Don't misunderstand the replies you get. The members on this forum, and many are professional installers, are aiming for only legal and safe installs and use of wood stoves and inserts.
Yes and by giving advice on an install like this i would be violating my professional code of conduct. That would jeprodize my licencing certifications and guild memberships. Not to mention the posters safety.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I know it may not seem like it but we are trying to help you.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I get it, but it'saggravating when I just want simple answers. And if no one on here can answer them that's fine, I'll just use Google and do it myself.

I get it, but it'saggravating when I just want simple answers. And if no one on here can answer them that's fine, I'll just use Google and do it myself.
We gave you simple answers. Doing what you want to do is against code and unsafe. I am sorry but that is your answer you just dont like it.