Defiant Encore 0028 Rebuild and Operation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRockFarm

Nov 28, 2007
Snoqualmie, WA
I have an 1989 Defiant Encore which has a warped upper and lower fireback. This, of course, damaged the refractory assembly and all associated parts. The cat itself has a very distorted shell. I last rebuilt this in 1994 with the same damage. I am wondering if anyone has tried a sacrificial plate in front of the lower fireback to be cheap protection for some pricey parts. Will these firebacks stay straight indefinitely if treated properly, or is warping going to happen eventually?

We have been very careful firing this store and try to always keep the stove top below 700 degrees. I wonder if using a catalytic probe, such as the Condar digital catalytic monitor would help us avoid future damage. We have never gotten more than 2 years out of a cat. It has always had thermal shock damage. We have always been careful to avoid too high a temp when closing the damper, but sometimes reload when the stove top is over 5-600 degrees. When we do this, the cat is still lit, so the damper has gotten closed quickly - - is that a problem?

I also keep reading that Elk has posted complete rebuild instructions on these stoves, but I've searched for hours and can't find anything. Mainly I would like to know where cement and where gaskets should be used. I notice that my front air manifold over the doors is gapped from the left and right wear plates, which would reduce airflow to the glass. It looks like this was cemented before, but it seems like a gasket would be more able to deal with expansion and contraction.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions you can offer. Thanks.

Joe

I don't think you can do much to stop the wear and tear - you obviously must know how to use the thing by now.
Although if your cat only lasts two year and breaks apart, that could indicate an overdraft situation - think about a turn damper or barometric damper for slowing down the draft. That may also make the other parts last longer.

VC has printed service instructions for such rebuilds - or at least we used to have then when we sold VC. That will usually beat a text message as to how to rebuild - you should see if your dealer can get you one, or call CFM customer care and maybe they can fax such a document.

here are some forum threads for you:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4051/P30/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9453

Expensive and time consuming job any way you look at it.
You probably have manual, but it is at:
http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/Defiant_Encore_0028.pdf

Thanks for the tips Craig. Vermont Castings emailed me the complete service manual for the Defiant Encore Models 0028 and 2140 (55 pages and 2.79 MB of PDF). Is it possible to make a link to this as a sticky? There could be a section for manuals. I spent a lot of effort coming up with the information, it would be nice to have it handy for people. I can email it to you, or whatever would work best. If that doesn't work out, I can send it to people if they email me.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.