Defiant Encore 2190 fireback removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
I'm working on a Defiant Encore model 2190 where the catalytic combustor is accessed from the inside.
I wanted to pull out the combustor to check its condition so going by the directions I removed the hood above the fireback, popped the two wedges holding the fireback in place and then tried to remove it.

I can get the fireback to lift up a bit and also get it to fall forward a bit but for the life of me cannot get it to come out. Not sure what the trick is. Does one side need to come out first before the other or should the whole thing come out equally? If this should be very easy then I suppose it could be warped but it honestly looks perfectly fine to me.

hey chris

come to think of it when i rebuilt my old defiant i could not get that to move even with the top off the stove. i don't know if your stove comes apart the same way with 4 long rods from the top thru to the bottom, but i could get everything i needed to do from the top with out removal.

frank

I used to have this problem with an encore, try taking the right inside panel off it is pretty easy to do and gives you some extra room to get the fireback out, I would bet there is some warping in there and that is why it is tight, I have had to take both inside side panels loose to get the back out, Oh be careful with the refractory material it can be fragile...Good Luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.