Q&A Definition of Continuous Pilot Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am trying to find out the definition of a continuous burning pilot light on a gas fireplace. Our builder tells us that because we can open the underneath portion of the fireplace and turn off the gas, ours is not considered a continuous burning pilot light. I do not feel this is correct, that means every time I want to conserve energy when the fireplace is not in use, I have to open the fireplace, turn off the gas, then when I want to use it the next night, I need to open it again and turn the gas on and then light it.

I feel that this is a continuous burning pilot light gas fireplace. My idea of a non-continuous burning pilot light would be that when we turn the fireplace off there is no pilot light and when we turn it on an electronic ignition lights the fireplace, similar to our gas stove. We do not have a pilot on our gas stove, it lights with electronic ignition. Am I correct? We paid for a non-continuous burning pilot light fireplace and I feel we are being ripped off.

Answer:

Your builder is wrong. A safety pilot light system typically burns continuously----just like in a gas furnace.

However, you still have control over when you want this pilot light to burn. If you want to shut it off, you can, as you obviously know. That's its advantage. It's disadvantage is that if the pilot goes out, and you cannot light it, you cannot operate your fireplace.

I have a few of these types of products in my home. It costs pennies per day to run the pilot light. The beauty of this system is that if you power goes out, you can still operate your fireplace. And, you may be able to wire your valve to a wall switch, or even a remote control----this depends on the valve---if you like this type of feature.

With electronic ignition, you need electricity. And, most electronic ignition systems on fireplaces are not very reliable despite manufacturers working hard to design them to be reliable. You are only as good as your vendor parts! You kitchen stove uses a different system altogether. Same principle, but different temperatures, space, Btu's, requirements, etc. Hard to believe, but true.

I recommend that you not worry about this too much. In the warmer months, shut it off if the waste concerns you. I think you'll be much better off in the long run with the system you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.