Degree Days and K Factor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TriMom

Jan 29, 2013
Is there a formula or method to convert degree days and K factor from oil usage to how much pellets would be needed for same heat output?

We have oil forced air heat plus hot water. We have about 4200 SF house in MA and keep house at 65 during the day.

2011/2012 used 728 gallons of oil
2012/2013 will likely use 850 gallons of oil

K factors were 7 and 8.5

Looking at last 12 months it appears we had 5500 degree days.

We are getting an Enviro Empress installed soon. If we like it we will consider adding another pellet stove to other side of our house.

K factors aren't needed.

You need to replace 850 - domestic hot water portion (if there is DHW being produced by your heating system) gallons of oil.

A ton of pellets is considered to be about 120 gallons of oil as far as gross BTUs is concerned.

The 728 gallons becomes 6.07 tons and the 850 gallons becomes 7.08 tons.

Thanks!

Not sure how to figure out how much is for hot water (separate oil burner) vs. heating.

Trying to see what the pay back time might be if we get 2 pellet stoves.

The hot water figure depends on a lot of things, for example if you do your laundry using hot water and how much water your clothes washer uses per load and how many loads, baths versus showers and how many of each etc ...

You at least have a ball park figure to order pellets by of 6 tons and then you can adjust things from there. If you keep the pellets dry they last for years. So the worst will be that you have a start on the next year supply. You might even be able to get away with 5 ton but as most people on here will tell you they tend to turn up the temperature and be warm for a change.

K factors aren't needed.

You need to replace 850 - domestic hot water portion (if there is DHW being produced by your heating system) gallons of oil.

A ton of pellets is considered to be about 120 gallons of oil as far as gross BTUs is concerned.

The 728 gallons becomes 6.07 tons and the 850 gallons becomes 7.08 tons.

well you can take his numbers and do a little math. I pay 4.20 a gallon for oil = $3057.00 and average ton of pellets by me is around 250. ton=$1517.00 a savings over $1540.00. and I actually paid less than 200 a ton for my pellets and with pellets I keep my house at 73 when I was using oil I kept the house at 66 Its well worth it. My stove will be paid for in under 4 years and Ill be much warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.