Delicate topic; spousal stove operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh believe me, hes a good guy, and we are friends, he's the type that is not afraid to try anything, but is somewhat mechanicaly challanged and doesn't think things out very well. The guy trapped his own cat in my tendertrap he had set up to catch a rat in his basement. After bugging me for two weeks about seeing his missing cat, he came to return the tendertrap in tears....I was a difficult story to take without breaking a smile at first, then when I realized that the cat died of starvation...well, lets just say theres always something like that going on over there... The second I see him on his roof, and he's up there alot, I get immediately scared, and head out to help.

The woodstove is fine, when properly operated, this means paying attention to details.
I am trained as a tailor and do a considerable business in alteration and repair work.
I slso make window treatments, slipcovers, cushions, awnings, and some small upholstery jobs.
I worked for a drycleaner for many years and know about ozone and fireloads, and the price of them (ouch).

We had a very civil discussion about the great stove caper this very afternoon. No harm done; we have a good deal of respect for each other based on 25 yrs. of dealing honestly and fairly with disagreements. Marriage is not for the self-important. I've added quick checklist of stove protocol and he's decided that it will best if he leaves the stove alone unless I specifically ask him to keep and eye on it for whatever reason. Seems fair enough to me.

OK, I'll tell the boyz the job's off...but you know how to get hold of us. Rick - Have Split, Will Travel :coolsmirk:

EngineRep said:
My wife "occasionally" loads the stove in a way that gets smoke odors into the house. With much less frequency, say once every week or so, I smoke a cigar in the same house.

Both events are easily corrected by turning on the ozone generator. Seriously!

I've had several over the past 15 years or so and they are great. We turn it on for other smells, such as cooking odors. I'd give some thought to purchasing one for your situation, where it "absolutely, positively, cannot smell in the studio".

In my line of work, ozone is used to rid odor from homes after damage occurs for various reasons, but the home cannot be occupied while the ozone generator is operation and for a specified period after it is turned off. I am no expert, and I am not sure if the levels produced by commercial units (vs residential units) make it unsafe to occupy a home while they are in use, but, it is worth checking out. You may want to Google ozone generator for more info. The EPA has some info at http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html#if i follow manuf. directions will i be harmed

Bobbin said:
We had a very civil discussion about the great stove caper this very afternoon. No harm done; we have a good deal of respect for each other based on 25 yrs. of dealing honestly and fairly with disagreements. Marriage is not for the self-important. I've added quick checklist of stove protocol and he's decided that it will best if he leaves the stove alone unless I specifically ask him to keep and eye on it for whatever reason. Seems fair enough to me.

Yeah, that was my thought this afternoon - sometimes something is so sensitive or particular that regardless whether or not the other person can learn to "do it right", you just have to do it yourself, in case there is a screw up, you can only blame yourself if something happens.

Only fair to both of you.

fossil said:
OK, I'll tell the boyz the job's off...but you know how to get hold of us. Rick - Have Split, Will Travel :coolsmirk:

Oh, you are just sooooooooo cute! :kiss:

fossil said:
you's guys can't get me all excited like, den just call the party off. It gets me all twitchy in da nerves.
woodjack "splitter" :coolmad:

szmaine said:
...Oh, you are just sooooooooo cute! :kiss:

Only virtually. And even then only occasionally. :p Rick

fossil said:

Allrighty !! The Hearth.com Possee !!

I love it :p

Bobbin said:
The woodstove is fine, when properly operated, this means paying attention to details.
I am trained as a tailor and do a considerable business in alteration and repair work.
I slso make window treatments, slipcovers, cushions, awnings, and some small upholstery jobs.
I worked for a drycleaner for many years and know about ozone and fireloads, and the price of them (ouch).

HehHeh . . . I like you Bobbin' . . . I'm adding you to the Hearth.com-members-I've-got-to-meet-someday list . . . you remind me so much of my wife!

Truth be told I can't tell you how many times I've mucked up things for my wife . . . sometimes I've got lucky and was able to cover up my "crimes" so to speak so she was none-the-wiser . . . sometimes I was busted.

I suspect I know what your husband was feeling . . . and it was probably true remorse. Did he have the sad puppy dog eyes? The realization that he messed up bad even though he was trying to help?

I think you handled this well . . . explaining to him that you knew he meant well, but due to his actions there were some pretty significant problems. Giving him a list of protocols is a good idea. Having him not work the stove is an even better idea . . . but hang on to those written instructions in case you ever need him to run the stove when you're not able . . . and perhaps encourage him to watch you and learn from you. It is possible to teach an old dog new tricks . . . when they want to . . . just sometimes the old dogs need a little help . . . like cheat sheets.

In the meantime, if he truly wants to help you, keeping the woodbox full every day (and then cleaning up any bark that drops on the floor) is one of those "small" things in life that spouses (of either sex) tend to appreicate . . . and more important for you . . . it's kind of hard to mess that up.

Finally, I get a real kick out of the hearth.com women-folk . . . and the men-folk who seem shocked to see women being so active when it comes to running the woodstove . . . personally I think you female hearth.com women folk rock!

. . . and if truth be told, my wife often runs the woodstove better than I do . . . although I do get to do the fun stuff with splitting, hauling wood and stacking (although she occasionally pitches in there as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.