Delivery charges?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmerkley

Hearth Supporter
Hey yall,

We are looking into possibly doing local delivery. My question is what are you being charged for delivery and how far or some of these places delivering. Also are the delivery charges price per ton or price per trip.

Any and all volunteered info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

It would be best for you to call around within your own local market and find out what THEY are charging, as they are your competition. Local market vary by region etc...For example, in the Northeast, Woodpellets.com is not charging anything as of right now, whereas Rogers Farm Supply charge $39 within 39 miles, and many other folks charge 50 per ton or 70 after tons...or something like that.

All that said, it's better for you to find out what your actual costs are then figure out what you need to make to pay for all costs plus overhead (taxes, maintenance, bookkeeping etc. I would imagine that a margin of 30% would be suitable.

Costs / .7 = 30% margin and includes a profit on the markup too.

I know lots of companies just make up a number they think is real, it's better for business to know your real numbers.

Here is the Northeast I pay a set fee of $60 for up to 4 tons of pellets assuming it is a local delivery.

My local stove shop charges $30 PER TON! ouch. and I'm only 3 miles from them
Local landscaper, charges about $10 per ton.
Local Hardware store, Free delivery but the per ton price is high.
Just had an oil company from 30+ miles away deliver 1 ton for $10.

It's all over the place!

I had 4 tons delivered from a place 8 miles away. They used a tilt trailer and a pallet jack to roll the pellets where I wanted in the garage. I had 4 tons delivered for a fee of $35. I'm very happy with that arrangement.

4 tons delivered for $20, 5 miles from the local farm supply store. then one ton from Jay, ? 70 miles for free. Both off loaded and placed neatly in my garage at no extra cost. Gave them both a good tip. My 3ed year with this dael. No way am I able to handle them by myself. Some want to do a drive way drop off. Most of the places around here you go get them with your truck or trailer. So far, I have been lucky.

sih hardwood pellets said:
Hey yall,

We are looking into possibly doing local delivery. My question is what are you being charged for delivery and how far or some of these places delivering. Also are the delivery charges price per ton or price per trip.

Any and all volunteered info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I've never heard of being charged for delivery.... :) ;-)

My local charges $25 for the first ton and $10/ton after that. But I usually haul my own(have to justify keeping the gas hog p/u I own!). Of coarse SIH is a bit to far to travel though. :) I'm keeping an eye out for them locally of coarse!

After reading these prices, I need to find another pellet place. I think I paid $80 for 3 tons. The year before, I paid $90 for 3 tons. G.M. Thompson in Mansfield charged me $10 a ton my first year, but they don't carry anything I'm interested in. I don't know what they're charging these days.

My advice would be to make sure you are extremely competitive on your delivery charges.

I run the other way when I feel I'm being overcharged for delivery.

Mine charged a dollar a loaded mile which was 20.00 for up to three tons available per trip. I got my 2 tons in the garage 20 miles from the stove shop for a 20.00 bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.