Deposit Placed on VC Montpeiler!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation scheduled for next thursday. I got it in Mojolica Brown and the mead surround. I can't wait! Thank you for all of your responses when i reached out for your advice.

Congratulaitons. I'm sure you will like it.

Nice! How is the wood supply?

You had best add pics to this claim of a new beautiful stove!! :)

Congrats!!

pen

Good luck.

1-1/2 year seasoned Oak, aint ready. Might burn, but will not be anywhere near optimal.

Depending on how the oak was seasoned for a year and a half it will burn but might not be optimal. If you can, pick up a moisture meter and check. I have the Montpelier and, with my draft, 25% moisture content oak burns pretty well but the viewing window does get a little dirty. When the wood is at 20% or less the heat output is higher, burn time longer, and the window stays very clean. The more moisture in the wood the more fuel is used to boil it off so there is less heat for the house. The more moisture in the stove the more it combines with the smoke to create the brown film on the viewing window and possibly creosote in the flue.

If your oak was loosely stacked in the sun and breeze it could be under 25% already. If, when you check it, it is over 25% you might consider mixing it with some very dry wood (pallets?) or even a couple of the high density compressed wood blocks.

Good luck with the new stove. Ask if you have any questions...

KaptJaq

Last edited:
Reactions: pen
Depending on how the oak was seasoned for a year and a half it will burn but might not be optimal. If you can pick up a moisture meter and check. I have the Montpelier and, with my draft, 25% moisture content oak burns pretty well but the viewing window does get a little dirty. When the wood is at 20% or less the heat output is higher, burn time longer, and the window stays very clean. The more moisture in the wood the more fuel is used to boil it off so there is less heat for the house. The more moisture in the stove the more it combines with the smoke to create the brown film on the viewing window and possibly creosote in the flue.

If your oak was loosely stacked in the sun and breeze it could be under 25% already. If, when you check it, it is over 25% you might consider mixing it with some very dry wood (pallets?) or even a couple of the high density compressed wood blocks.

Good luck with the new stove. Ask if you have any questions...

KaptJaq
I do want to get a moisture meter. My pile is stacked with lots of airflow in full sun. Thank you for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.