Desperatly need help with chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2010
North Arkansas
So I am installing a new Napoleon wood burning furnace. I am having to relocate the thimble through a block wall to a higher position and the clay lined chimney measures 7x7 inside the clay liner and it is cracked. The 6 inch exhaust runs 18 inches through the wall and chimney before it has a 90 degree bend upwards into the chimney. Then it runs 22 feet straight up. I figure I need a 6 inch liner but no one around here knows enough about them. I can't find anyone who has one that I know or even any place that sells them. So, I have researched the subject here but i have more questions.

1. Flex liner vs. rigid? I assume flex will install easier. Based on some other "ameuter" work on this house I cannot be sure the chimney is perfectly straight or in line. Would the rigid last longer over flex liner? The cost doesn't seem to far off from each other. Is one better quality over another?

2. Insulation? The chimney is exterior, but our climate is quite mild here in Arkansas. With the previous stove the chimney vented very well. I am actually worried about it venting to well. Is this possible? The furnace will not use a manual damper in the exhaust like the stove I had, so..

3. Do I use a stainless thimble in the wall to connect to the tee? Or use a clay thimble that I mortar to the tee? I would assume this is a no no.

Thanks.

1st thing would be to get info on your local regulations - codes.
The chimney should be inspected to determine if it is safe to install a liner.
I would prefer ridgid liner if possible. Does your furnace specify a 6" vent.
Chimney liners can be costly but well worth the money for safety reasons.
Pictures would be helpful also. 22ft. should draft nicely if installed correctly.

I would remove the existing liner and put a 6" liner and blanket in the chimney. We choose rigid for quality, but either will work well. Being a wood furnace guy, you will have to let us know how the furnace works out. It's a nice looking furnace.

It'll be near impossible to fit a 6" liner with insulation down a 7"x7" clay lined chimney. If the tiles are cracked the liner will require insulation. You'll probably need to remove the clay liner after doing so you should have enough room to do what you need. I think a flex liner with an insulation wrap will do the trick along with making sure the thimble is installed properly.

I lined my 7"x11" chimney with a 5.5" flex liner and was able to get it down pretty easy. I used a pour type insulation around the liner.

For a 6†crock (8†OD), that means a total width and height of 32†square of solid masonry

This is from that article you posted a link to. Since I am using a "crock" and going through a block then brick wall I have no wood studs or anything close at all. Much more than spec.

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.