1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Did I discover a new way to clean stove glass?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ohlongarm, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Started to clean by BKULTRA glass today fairly good amount of deposit on it since I haven't been burning it too hot.I have a razor in a holder that works well,I went to spray a little WD-40 on the blade prior to me starting to scrape off the deposits.Well I sprayed the door glass lightly with a light film of WD-40 don't know why just did. I let it soak in about five minutes and then went to scrape the glass,it was unbelievable the razor took of the deposits and in less than five minutes the glass was perfectly clean,took dry paper towels wiped off the residual WD.Finished cleaning the glass with windex glass cleaner and was done. Best cleaner I've ever used bar none WD-40 you figure.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    a metal scraper scares me on something so expensive,especially ceramic.We'll wait for replies.
  3. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Trust me although I've only been burning my BK for about four months total since I bought it you will not damage the glass with a razor. There's a law in my town forbidding me to own or use anything that is construed as a tool despite this law I've never harmed my glass. Cleaned it about four times using a blade. This WD thing amazes me.
  4. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    WD-40 + Wait 5 Minutes + Razor Blade + Windex = Too many steps, time, and effort for me.

I don't think it's ever taken me longer than a minute to clean off the glass.
  5. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Ya, but you don't have a blaze King. I used to just give a quick wipe, but not now. It's a small price to pay for 30 hour burns. :coolsmirk:
  6. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

The build up on the glass get's that bad? I've seen photos, just assumed it was a thin layer.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    WD-40. Fixes anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn.
  8. Mt Ski Bum

Mt Ski Bum Member

Loc:
    Big Sky, Montana
    earlier this year when I was living in a place with a fireplace, I used some hi-temp stove glass cleaner I got from one of the local wood stove dealers, & it worked great on the glass doors as well as the stone fireplace surround... the gal at the counter said it also works good on carpet, but I never go a chance to try that out...
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

I use a razor blade. I haven't cleaned it this year yet though. Been burning 24/7 for about 2 months.
  10. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It's kinda bad this time of year, I still don't need to use a razor blade, but it takes a bit to get it clean.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Next thing might be applying some duct tape, wait 2 minutes and remove. All the black then stays on the tape....
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep, duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should - WD-40.
  13. RandyG

RandyG Member

Loc:
    Central Fla
    I just cleaned mine with wet newspaper and some ash already in the stove, works great......thanks Dennis, got it from you!!!
  14. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Well, they have a list of 2000+ uses, and a link to click to submit a new one:

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

ETA: I don't let WD-40 anywhere near either of my woodstoves.
  15. Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Britton MI
    The wet ash and paper towel worked for me to. But since I burn 24-7 when my fire coals down I open the door hold up a steel plate rake the coals to the front slide the plate out shut the door turn the air wide open and let it bun off. It will leave a inch on each side but it doesn't bother me.

Billy
  16. Shmudda

Shmudda Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western Pennsylvania
    This is my method, works cheap and easy!!!

Gotta burn them hot, and glass build-up is a small problem.

Craig
  17. eyefish2

eyefish2 New Member

Loc:
    UP Mi
    I like the towel and ash method. Some of the wood I burn does have dirt on it at times. Has anyone ever scratched the ceramic "glass" of a woodstove??? Seems to be pretty hardy. I do not know the hardness properties of ceramic vs normal glass.
  18. ValentineHill

ValentineHill New Member

Loc:
    Seacoast, New Hampshire
    +1

This works great, and it has the added bonus of not running the risk of necessitating playing with a razor blade around a burning fire.
  19. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Sooner or later I'm gonna dab the ash and come up w/ some sand. Pretty sure that's going to scratch it.
  20. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    :bug:
  21. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY

And that's just on one load? I heard those BKs were good but I didn't realize.
  22. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Its been below freezing for the most of it. Sounds normal to me. It will be -7f by the morning.
  23. firetender

firetender New Member

Loc:
    south east pa.
    I have also used a razor blade scraper to clean my glass when I wasnt burning the stove hot. I also use 4/0 steel wool on cool glass and that works well.Although after 13 years the inner glass became etched, so I replaced it. For 35.00 I can see the fire nice and clear now.
  24. nate379

nate379 Guest

Haha, no way on just one load. I've gone through about 1/2 a cord so far. It's about on par, burned about 3 cords total last year from mid-Sept to mid-March

25. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    So long as you don't find 50 degrees comfortable for your home, or supplement your heat, I am DAMN jealous of your home's insulation.

pen