Did I run stove too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michbrog23

Dec 4, 2022
Danville, KY
Just got a Osburn 950 installed, and noticed some discoloration on the bottom section of the door frame. I’m curious if I ran the stove too hot to cause this, and curious if the gasket is supposed to look like this?

15467568-6BC4-45F8-B3BF-E50147BBCBC8.jpeg AF8B1E49-C6F4-4262-B67A-933AEAEDA5FC.jpeg260B834B-37FB-4C60-87FE-0BEE6B3B9006.jpeg41CA3CA7-D5D0-487D-BC2A-03C0108E4073.jpegF1CFB692-3DE8-42EF-B47D-998EA8DC953B.jpeg

Looks like if anything you were running it low and slow.
I don’t see anything wrong with the gasket. I’m not an installer or chimney sweep though.

By looking at the glass it seems to be soot build up.
I was getting this after 1 or 2 fires and discovered I was closing the door to soon !
Do a little cleaning then try leaving your door ajar 2-3" until logs are burning good and hot before closing.

Looks ok to me. Soot on the back bricks tells me it was no where near too hot.

Reactions: oilcan1001
Looks ok to me. Soot on the back bricks tells me it was no where near too hot.
To be clear, we know the last burn did not finish hot. However, it's impossible to say what could have happened previously.

That said, it's not abnormal for the door sill to lose its black paint. Mine have all gone au naturale.

To be clear, we know the last burn did not finish hot. However, it's impossible to say what could have happened previously.

That said, it's not abnormal for the door sill to lose its black paint. Mine have all gone au naturale.
Looks like brown soot. Latch has lost its paint. Here is mine.

image.jpg

What does that soot indicate? Still waiting on a couple thermometers, just trying to figure how full to run this thing for optimum performance
A normal burning fire with dry wood will not leave soot in the firebox. It gets hot enough to burn it all off. Some near the . The door happens as the air wash air keeps the front door cooler. But on my Drolet I don’t get any on the door.

Optimum performance means measuring flue gas temps.