difference between BL and red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Central PA
When it gets cold (in single digits and below) the difference between the two become very apparent. With the BL I load every 8 hours and peak at about 73 degrees and upon reload end at about 70. With red oak I peak at about 70 degrees and upon reload the house is at 67 degrees. When it is cold recovering temps become much more challenging with the red oak. So why not load more often with red oak? I can't, too many coals. Everyone has a different setup with different variables. This is what I have noticed with my setup.

So far I've only burned red and white oak. Seems like I get more heat and higher temps out of white oak. I have a bunch of BL waiting in que to burn in 4-5 years.

I have an older top loading stove and the air wash was more efficient when it was new. For that reason I pass on locust because I think the wood smells like burning tires regardless of any numbers.
Oak smells way better. Well seasoned Oak smells like leather to me. Just fine.
And if I want kick ass heat I push the Shagbark.
It's all about aroma really.

My locust has been down in the woods for 10 years and seasoned for 4-5 years. It takes right off. The bark is off and it does not give off that charateristic odor. Does not really matter to me cause when its cold enough to use locust I ain't outside to smell it.

My locust has been down in the woods for 10 years and seasoned for 4-5 years. It takes right off. The bark is off and it does not give off that charateristic odor. Does not really matter to me cause when its cold enough to use locust I ain't outside to smell it.
This makes me think my locust should be drier. It takes a while to get going for me & unless I'm working a hot reload I feel the extra btu's just got up my flue during the longer warm-up.
What I burned this year seasoned 2 years, but not in an optimal spot.
I need to try a moisture meter again. I had one years ago & the pins pulled out after a week of light use...

To me BL is great. It has to be seasoned well though. At least 3 years, and it will pay you back with heat. It will sit and smoke and smolter if it is not seasoned. I've discovered just this year that it will burn nicely by itself when very dry. Oak does have huge hot coals which is nice too. It's all good.

Im just teasing about the aroma thing. I am mostly thankful Im not burning buffalo chips to stay warm. And its ass monkey cold here. Minus 22° the other night and that was not the wind chill._g
Not to beat a dead horse on the wood snob topic but Oak and locust should not be spoken of in the same sentence.
Locust and Cedar are another thing. Kissing cousins and far off distant shores....
I have neither on my property, no locust nor cedar. And historically I wonder if in some far off time it was harvested off the land into extinction.
My "associated forest type" is the Red oak/white pine group. And it all hinges on soil typing. But it cant be that simple. There are hundreds of locust trees just a mile or so down the road.

When it gets cold (in single digits and below) the difference between the two become very apparent. With the BL I load every 8 hours and peak at about 73 degrees and upon reload end at about 70. With red oak I peak at about 70 degrees and upon reload the house is at 67 degrees. When it is cold recovering temps become much more challenging with the red oak. So why not load more often with red oak? I can't, too many coals. Everyone has a different setup with different variables. This is what I have noticed with my setup.
A few splits a pine or cedar with allow the coals to burn down between reloads. Then you can keep the temps up and not have to recover. Especially important during these unreasonably cold periods.
Use plenty of air to burn the coals down.

I like mixing red oak and locust, keeps us toasty warm.. To OP, Good observation on the wood differential, let me ask this, is the MC% the same on both species of wood when you did the test? And what were they.....

I like mixing red oak and locust, keeps us toasty warm.. To OP, Good observation on the wood differential, let me ask this, is the MC% the same on both species of wood when you did the test? And what were they.....
The red oak was spit thin 4-5 inches and seasoned in Sept of 12. The locust is really doing the trick because I am burning quite hot to keep up with demand. It is harder to tell the difference in 15 degree and up days because I have it choked down pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.