Difference in heat? T6 vs. Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
What is the difference in the kind of heat between the two since they are different materials? Right now I am heating 100% with an old Fisher stove and it heats me out some nights in January, so can I expect the same from either these two stoves, and which would be better in my case? The stove sits in my basement and radiates up, to the living quarters, so I am mostly concerned about just heating as good as the old Fisher if not better. What do you guys think?

Having moved from a stove of the same size and design as a Fisher to a stove of the same size and and design as a Summit two seasons ago I can confidently say that you just ain't gonna believe how much heat that stove is gonna put out and how much less wood it will use to do it. Either one of them. Classic or T6.

Which model Fisher?

The difference is probably most distinguishable in the cycles. Tom Oyen has run both stoves and can probably tell you the most about their differences. The way I understand it, the Summit will likely heat up the area faster, but may cool down a bit faster too. The mass of the T6 will take a bit longer to warm up, but it will also slowly release the stored heat after the embers have died down.

But if the only thing that sees this stove are the basement spiders, then I would just go with the Summit. It should heat as well as the Fisher Mama Bear while using a lot less wood to do it and burning much cleaner.

Not sure which Fisher it is, It has a step top, the box measures 21 deep, by 24 wide, by 18 tall at the bottom of the first step. It has dual air in let on either door, and the doors open left to right like a book.

It was my parents from the 70's energy crunch, and it sat in the chicken coop for years, then when I got my own place, they gave it to me. It heats my place well, but if I rough estimate, if not mild estimate, is that I go through 8 cords of wood, heating 100% of the time! Thank god I work right down the street and I can run home to through a log in every now and then, but I am afraid we'll get a bad winter, and the house might drop below 75 degrees :lol: So I am looking for a stove that is going to heat the same, but eat less wood, and less baby sitting! Also it is key that the little lady can handle it, to many knobs or levers and it just wouldn't work for me, of course not worried about the stove!

Does this sound strange, even though that old fisher is ugly, needs a new paint job. Even if I bought a new stove, I would never get rid of that old beast, it has saved me to much to give it away or scrap it! I would find it a comfy home in the barn, out of respect!

FWIW, I think if you can move the stove upstairs, you'll save half you wood load, even with the Fisher! Going to a more efficient stove will save even more wood. Eight cord may last you three years :)

We have had a wood furnace in the basement from the previous owner, not connected to anything, just letting the heat wander upstairs by itself. When I finally got brave enough to cut a hole in the floor and duct the heat upstairs, it made a world of a difference in comfort and really cut down the wood consumption needed to keep the upstairs warm.

If you can't move it upstairs, maybe you should consider a wood furnace with a duct to the living area.

Ken

The way I understand it, the Summit will likely heat up the area faster, but may cool down a bit faster too. The mass of the T6 will take a bit longer to warm up, but it will also slowly release the stored heat after the embers have died down.

Having burned both models, that's my take exactly. Also important to note: either model will send more heat upstairs than the Fisher, because both PE models are air convection stoves and the Fisher is a radiant stove. Air convection stoves put out most of the heat in the form of heated air, which rises naturally, carrying the heat with it. Between the two, the Alderlea T6 creates more heated air, as the high-density cast iron outer shell reflects more radiant energy back at the inner firebox. As a result, you can hold your hand much closer to the cast-iron sidewalls of the T6 than you can to the plate steel sidewalls of the Summit.

Thank you Tom appreciate the help! Might be purchasing from you soon!

Jason

thechimneysweep said:
The way I understand it, the Summit will likely heat up the area faster, but may cool down a bit faster too. The mass of the T6 will take a bit longer to warm up, but it will also slowly release the stored heat after the embers have died down.

Having burned both models, that's my take exactly.

I wonder if one could get the same effect (longer, more moderate heat output) by putting a layer of bricks or stones on the stop of the stove, or maybe a large piece of slate or marble.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.