Differences in Whitfield Advantage II Stove vs Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MichaelV

Jan 7, 2017
Maryland
We picked up an advantage II stove a few years ago and although we have had some minor issues, it has run great.

We also picked up the fireplace insert version on Craigslist this year and one thing that I notice is that there is just a straight pipe under the firebox for combustion air on the insert and this same pipe has an extension and reduction that angles up toward the tray on the stand alone stove.

I'm curious if anyone knows of some of the construction changes for this model. I'm changing the door gasket and looking over some other issues since the fireplace insert version of the stove does not have the same combustion as the stand alone... no pellet coals dancing in the fire box and the flame is a bit more lazy... We just started using this on and will work out the kinks but I'm curious.

I'll post pictures once both stoves get cleaned again... too cold today and they are both running.

Not sure of the differences but you may want to look closely at the damper slider door on the one that apparently is not moving enough air. The Advantage II I had was rather finicky in terms of getting that slider door working properly without binding.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Could try to download manuals to see if you can identify the changes ... not sure how easy it will be to match up available manuals to year of manufacture though. Even though a stove is "the same model" subtle changes may happen on subsequent years as they figure out the flaws...