Different fireplace, similar issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
A recent thread got me wondering about my own set up. Prior to my insert install (and then reinstall), I used the open fireplace for a couple. While it was never brought to my attention by any of the sweeps that maintained the chimney, at one point I noticed a small gap on side(s)of firebox where firebrick meets brick of face of fireplace. Didn’t think to much of it but decided to put some hi temp mortar in the gap. While it covered the gap, I did a pretty sloppy job and it came out with a rough appearance. It was. while ago, but it looks like I just filled in one side of firebox, forgot my rhyme or reason for that.
Fast forward about 6 or 7 yrs to the present. I see the recent post about how these gaps can indicate a problem. I check these gaps out again today (the parts visible with insert having been in for last 5 yrs.). I attached some pics if relevant areas including inside firebox, and profile pic in which I can see small gap where fireplace brick meets mortar near wall.
Coincidentally, I have a trusted chimney guy doing a basement pellet install in 2 weeks and can have him do an in-person inspection.
Any initial thoughts or things I can bring to his attention from the looks of these pics?
BTW, I plan on having the plywood form of hearth in basement removed. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Different fireplace, similar issue?
    C918EB4F-407D-4656-B4AC-C473DA14E5C1.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 162
    F620482B-49BF-43C7-A2BE-90633B7BC938.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 150
    410690F1-66F6-479D-99CE-C82302956617.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 138
    45E376ED-8811-4F21-890C-3753D8477087.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 146
    917DA32A-1846-4D14-89C6-273F078C460E.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 141
    2117304D-AA09-4D97-82D8-A21524AF2BF9.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 155
    D2A69167-66A8-490A-A3E8-B000BC507D91.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 143
Did I miss something? I don’t see anything abnormal. A small hairline crack between the facing and the firebox is normal. More important is the big gap thats at the top of most fireplace openings. That’s overlooked pretty often.

I dont see an issue yes you have a small crack inside that is not uncommon but should be fixed. The other poster has matching cracks inside and out. Which could indicate a bigger problem.

Different fireplace, similar issue? Different fireplace, similar issue? Different fireplace, similar issue?
I dont see an issue yes you have a small crack inside that is not uncommon but should be fixed. The other poster has matching cracks inside and out. Which could indicate a bigger problem.

This is a zoomed in pic of outside of fireplace. Wanted to provide a better pic of gap on outside. Gap is between brick and mortar. In one of the pics, i point the the area for reference.

Last edited:
That’s very minimal. Has it gotten any worse over the years?

Reactions: bholler
That’s very minimal. Has it gotten any worse over the years?
Just noticed the outside of fireplace gap today when I looked after seeing other post. For all I know, it could have looked the same for the 40 yrs house has existed. So, I really don’t know.

Last edited:
Just noticed the outside of fireplace gap today when I looked after seeing other post. For all I know, it could have looked the same for the 40 yrs house has existed. So, I really don’t know.
It’s likely to have been there since the house first settled in. Expansion and contraction causes a crack like that, not structural issues.

Following this thread . My cracks seem to be wider at the top and tight to no crack at the bottom. Are yours the same way? Seems we have the same thing going on. You seem to have the wood under the front of the hearth slab like me as well. Did you look up in the ash pit and see if they left the wood there too? You have more cracks than me in the cinder block underneath. Hope your setup is good. I wish mine was. I got all this wood and no way to burn it.

Keep an eye on it if it changes you have an issue. Yours is small and looks pretty even from what i can see though i am thinking the same as webby but who knows. Watch it

Following this thread . My cracks seem to be wider at the top and tight to no crack at the bottom. Are yours the same way? Seems we have the same thing going on. You seem to have the wood under the front of the hearth slab like me as well. Did you look up in the ash pit and see if they left the wood there too? You have more cracks than me in the cinder block underneath. Hope your setup is good. I wish mine was. I got all this wood and no way to burn it.
I have looked up the ashpit in the past and it appears that there is metal supporting the fireplace floor, so I think I’m good there. With the wood under the hearth extension, I will either remove wood or get a hearth pad that fits in front of insert.

I have looked up the ashpit in the past and it appears that there is metal supporting the fireplace floor, so I think I’m good there. With the wood under the hearth extension, I will either remove wood or get a hearth pad that fits in front of insert.
Technically to meet code the wood needs to go

Ok thanks, will have chimney guy remove when he comes out for pellet install.