difficult pellet change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

veronica

Jan 30, 2010
vermont
I need some help. I have and Enviro empress free standing stove. I have burn 3 1/2 ton Lignetics pellets no problem. Love them. I am out so I have tried New England Pellets, horrible burn pot filled up. Now I was excited to try Barefoot pellets. I messed with the stove all day to get the settings just right thought I had a good burn going , went to bed the pot is overflowing. My stove just went through a deep cleaning last week, and i vacume every day. What am i doing wrong. Is my stove only going to burn Lignetics? I never have any ash or problems with Lignetics. Please help. Is it because the empress is a small stove. Thanks Veronica

veronica said:
.... went to bed the pot is overflowing. .... Veronica

Did you still have a burn going when it's overflowing, or did the full pot smother the fire out?

Carl

veronica said:
fire still going, very dangerous! Damper all the way open and on a level 3 setting

Sounds like the stove is dirty or the damper isn't working, got hit, etc...

Please describe in detail your deep clean.

the stove pipe all cleaned and cleared ourt. and removial of the backing and cleaned. We do this every ton. Lignetics burned just fine last week and now these two brands are horrible. The damper is fine because if i addjust it there is a change, but not for the better in any position.

Have you ever removed and cleaned the combustion blower, the cavity it sits in, the path from the cavity to the venting, the path from the cavity to and through the heat exchanger, the air chamber under the burn pot, and the air path from the air chamber to the air intake?

I've burned Barefoot and it produces very little ash and my puffer had no trouble keeping the ash out of the fire pot.

Build up is caused by not having enough air flow through the fire pot to eject the ash that is being produced.

The air flow problem can come in one of three forms, a partially (or totally) blocked air path, an air bypass, or a weak and failing combustion fan.

The primary causes of air bypasses are failing door gaskets, ash pan gaskets, burn pot gaskets, or hinges and latches that have become loose.

I tend to agree with Smokey...sounds like a dirty stove. You may think what you are doing is a "complete" cleaning, but maybe not.

How old is the stove? How many tons have gone through it since new?

I just wanted to clarify when you say the burn pot is overflowing when you use Barefoot, is it overflowing with ash or pellets? If it's overflowing with pellets, I've had trouble with the ultra-premium, small pellets (Okies and Hamer's). I needed to turn the feed rate way way down. If you meant it's overflowing with ash when you try the Barefoots, but it's not doing it with Lignetics, I have no idea. I've burned a couple tons of the NEWPs and found them ashy, so that's not strange you would find them ashy. From what I read about Barefoots, it is strange if they produced a lot of ash. Of course there are always bad batches of pellets. Any way to grab a bag of yet another brand to try?

Your stove also has independent combustion and fuel feed trims.

The control information starts on page 7 and runs through page 9.

I am not seeing that much difference in the physical characteristics between the Ligs and the Barefoot that would lead to the issue you are having that would not be compensated for by the use of the damper alone.

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Well problem solved!!!!! When we do a good cleaning i mean everything inside and out, super clean. We called our service guy. He was just here the first of Feb. and replaced our combustion blower and said this was the cleanest stove he has ever seen. So he told us to attack the stove pipe one more time with the brush. Well husband outside and me at the "T" inside ready with the ash vac and oh my god a big clump of ash came down. We still don't get it , we had just done that last month, but maybe dear husband get as far down as this clump. So now I am burning Barefoot pellets and all is well!!!!! They burn really nice, but I have to say I still love Lignetics the best. The heat out of them is awsome!!!! 2yr old Enviro Empress free standing stove, 4 ton of lignetics / year. Thanks to everyone here. veronica

You need to do everything in the "annual" or "seasonal" clean list every single ton as far as inspection goes, and if there is at least 1/4 inch of build up found in the vents they should be cleaned out.

If it isn't totally cleaned the next ton will deposit twice as much as the first ton, the third ton will deposit twice as much as the first two tons did, and so it goes.

If there are "horizontal" runs they must actually have a slight vertical rise or else ash will deposit out even faster as the effective vent cross section is reduced.

Pellets like those Barefoot pellets and some others result in much less ash loading in the the stoves heat exchanger and venting system and will keep your system cleaner.

What happens sometimes when cleaning one part of the stove you actually push ash into another part (even one you might have just previously cleaned) of the stove, this is the reason I employ a leaf blower after doing my stove and vent torturing. It is very good at getting any remaining loosened up ash.

A clean stove is a happy stove and 0% of stove problems are caused bay a stove that is TOO clean ;-) .

Status
Not open for further replies.