Difficult removing/replacing chimney cap from liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

none888

Nov 23, 2019
r2d2r2d2
Hi,

I just cleaned my chimney for the first time and encountered a few problems. Wondering if anybody has tips or advice.

My woodstove was recently installed with a liner run up an existing rectangular clay chimney. When I climbed on the roof, I found it somewhat difficult to remove the chimney cap. It was connected directly to the liner with a few screws. Difficult to access those screws as the cap was also screwed and caulked to a flange.

Once removed, the cleaning went okay with a poly brush and some fiberglass poles. The real problem was getting it back together. Getting the cap to slide back inside the liner was exceptionally challenging. I had to pull up on the liner (it wanted to drop down into the old chimney) while at the same time trying to work the cap down into it. Very difficult and a few profanities were exclaimed.

I am not looking forward to repeating this activity so I am hoping there are some suggestions on how to make this job easier next year.

If I could find a cap which had a slight taper on the part that connects to the liner, it would probably be a lot simpler. Anybody know if these exist?

If I could replace the flange with one that would attach to the liner directly it could also make the job a lot simpler. Anybody know if these exist?

Maybe even just some other sort of union between the liner and cap?

Finally, if I cannot engineer a better installation for this, any tips for sliding a cap in a liner?

The liner should be held up by a support clamp of some kind. Taking the cap off should have nothing to do with the liner moving in the chimney. Can you post a picture of what you are working with?