DIGITAL Gas Temperature Probes--Condar and Others

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovation

Oct 26, 2010
SW MI near Saugatuck
Hi Folks,

Considering that the current Condar analog bimetallic probes read high by about 200* F, does anyone have any experiences or opinions on this Condar digital probe?

http://www.starbrickstoves.com/acatalog/CON-DigitalCatalyticMonitorM.gif

http://www.starbrickstoves.com/acatalog/Digital_Catalytic_Monitor.html

it's about $100, $122 w/ AC power.

Is it decent? Are there better deals out there?

Of course, considering that the current bimetallic probes, though not accurate, are precise, I could just subtract 200* from the analog probe's readings and be done with it. It would be nice to have accurate readings but perhaps, to quote Mystery Science Theater 3000, "I should really just relax." :)

I bought one years ago from Condar and it didn't work, also asked for a longer probe and they said no problem but it didn't show up that way. Ended up sending it back. They did say they would make it right but I decided I didn't like all that stiff wire hanging around. Too bad there isn't a wireless one.

If you decide on double wall pipe I think the probe thermometers read close enough. Condar admitted to me yesterday that the 3-39 probe is not accurate on single wall pipe and are in the process of changing their literature on them. I found pulling them out 1" on 6" single wall pipe makes it read closer to their claims.

Thanks Todd! I'll just relax. Yeah, I'm going double wall.

If you look on Ebay you can find temp controllers and digital thermoneters for less, you will have to wire it and assemble into box yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.