Dirty deed is done.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Well, even though the stove was all clean last spring, I had decided a while ago to do some preventative maintenance and do a mod that should help with the burn. I know burning weather is (hopefully) at least another 1 1/2 months away, but I'm now 100% ready.

Ordered the "Early bird" gasket set from Englander last May, and decided today was the day to tackle the jobs. Replaced both combustion blower gaskets, and gave the exhaust another quick cleaning w/ the lint eater. Checked the OAK and all seems OK. (btw....that graphite spray treatment on the comb. blower fan blades works GREAT:) .....almost no buildup when it was cleaned after 1 ton).

Then, took the door off and removed the glass (super easy job on this stove), and replaced the door and glass gaskets. They were original to the stove (afaik), so they were 4 yrs old and I thought it was time.

I had also had an idea last winter to add a gasket under the burnpot, and tried it with some scrap pieces of old comb. gasket....seemed to help the flame. So I ordered a couple of sheets of the Lytherm gasket, and made a custom 1-piece burnpot gasket. I also made a gasket "wrap" to go around the stirrer to seal off that opening into the pot too.

And since I had the burn pot and stirrer out, I gave the inside of the pot and the stirrer the graphite spray treatment too.

Last item was to replace the ignitor....old one was only getting hot halfway and start-ups were getting a little long, although it DID still ignite the pellets.

OK.....yeah, I know....no pics = it didn't happen :rolleyes: I beat you guys to it:

Attachments

• 10cpm door:gaskets.jpg
    10cpm door:gaskets.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 267
  • 10cpm burnpot.jpg
    10cpm burnpot.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 226
Looking good imac .Think I am gonna pull my glass this year too. What was the graphite lube you used ? I missed that post i guess

Looks awesome... Ready for another season.

Love your firebrick....

......What was the graphite lube you used ? I missed that post i guess
Dry Graphite spray. I got it at Grainger. Made by CRC.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

Attachments

• 4JB39_AS01.jpeg
    4JB39_AS01.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 176
Hi Imacman

Nice Job, looks like you are in great shape! Did you put 3-1 oil on the motor and pot stirrer shafts for a little lubrication?
I have come to the conclusion that for moving parts and auger bushings that 3-1 oil works best and does not gum up the works! It just needs to be applied at least once per year.

No doubt in my mind that the graphite lube stops ash build up, but the graphite spray I have is a little to watery and runny. I am always looking to improve. How is the CRC graphite spray?

I did pick up some CRC Dry Moly Lube and it seems very similar to the graphite spray but not runny or drippy at all! I may try that this year.

Hi Imacman

Nice Job, looks like you are in great shape! Did you put 3-1 oil on the motor and pot stirrer shafts for a little lubrication?
I have come to the conclusion that for moving parts and auger bushings that 3-1 oil works best and does not gum up the works! It just needs to be applied at least once per year.

No doubt in my mind that the graphite lube stops ash build up, but the graphite spray I have is a little to watery and runny. I am always looking to improve. How is the CRC graphite spray?.....

Everything is lubed & ready.....I even checked the chain drive for the stirrer.

I use a product called TufOil (which I bought many years ago) on the motor bearings, ....has teflon in it, and it lubes and cleans at the same time. If I didn't have that, I'd use the 3in1 in the blue can.

As for the graphite spray, it DOES look very runny when first sprayed, but turns a nice gun metal gray after it dries.

Everything is lubed & ready.....I even checked the chain drive for the stirrer.

I use a product called TufOil (which I bought many years ago) on the motor bearings, ....has teflon in it, and it lubes and cleans at the same time. If I didn't have that, I'd use the 3in1 in the blue can.

As for the graphite spray, it DOES look very runny when first sprayed, but turns a nice gun metal gray after it dries.

Hi Imacman

Thanks for the info.

The CRC Dry Moly Lube is a nice metal gray and is not runny so that may be a good upgrade, I will try that this year for the combustion blower and maybe the convection blower fan blades too. Only for the blades of course to prevent ash or dust buildup!

You are 100% right on motor oil for the Blower Motors and it looks like the TufOil is a good upgrade from the 3-1 oil so I may be ordering that soon. Thanks again :)

Here is a little research I did on small motor lubricant.
See > > http://www.aosmithmotors.com/motornews/default.aspx?id=558
As a rule of thumb, any type of oil that is labeled "motor oil" is okay to use as a lubricant. Detergent oils are acceptable as well, the detergents will not harm the motor’s windings. Avoid other lubricants—and tell your customers not to attempt to lubricate their motor with anything but motor oil.
You would be amazed at the types of lubrication well-meaning but untrained people try to use in electric motors. One of our quality managers once received a failed motor from a health spa that smelled strongly of coconut. No one could figure out the source of failure until they began testing the lubrication. Turns out the customer had attempted to use BenGay ® cream (coconut scented of course) to lube the bearings. Smelled great, didn’t work. Other equally unsuccessful lubricants I’ve seen have included petroleum jelly, transmission fluid, and cooking oil.
Another thing to remember to tell your customers is to avoid using chlorinated solvents or industrial degreasers such as WD-40 ® as lubricants. The solvents can attack and destroy the insulation in the windings leading to motor failure.

Waste of time and moly spray, IMO. I'm sure it will NOT stop dust from accumulating.

BTW, the TufOil I'd buy if i needed any now would be this:

www.fluoramics.com/lubit8.shtml

Thanks again Pete
That Lubit8 looks like real good stuff and comes in a nice easy applicator too!

Looks like I will do a side by side experiment with the Dry Moly and Spray Graphite and see which feels better?

Pete, You sure take good care of it! Looks like new IMHO!

I like Pete's colors on the firebrick, so to me it looks better than new. :)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Hello

It looks like in the video that Dry Moly Lube covers more evenly than the Spray Graphite. Also the Dry Moly Lube is not drippy like the spray graphite. They both are protective and certainly alot better than nothing. Maybe Dry Moly with Spray Graphite on top of the Dry Moly is the best? ?

It was a little tricky holding the lite and the camera and spraying so please bear with me! Thanks
Here is my comparison video so you can see there are differences.
This Spray Graphite is very similar to the CRC Spray Graphite like Pete has.

BTW. I did order the Lubit-8 -- Thanks Pete!

Attachments

• DryMolyLube&SprayGraphite.JPG
    DryMolyLube&SprayGraphite.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.